The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Problems with card work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ilusionista
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of ilusionista
Other than a lot of practice, do any ladies have any hints for working with cards given that our hands are a bit smaller?

Thanks
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
Bridge Size Cards are slightly smaller than poker size. so those might help
Ashley
Ashley Taggert
moving up in the world of magic
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Not so many card sleights depends on size of your hands.
And, there are many good card tricks which can be performed without using sleights.

Most of magicians think Pass, Palm, Side Steal, etc are foundmental sleights, but I don't consider them as foundmental. I play Ukulele. There are tremoro, ten-finger strum, etc, which are very difficult techniques. But we can play wonderful music without them.

If you can deal cards, spread cards, you can produce nice magic.

Hideo Kato
Suzanne
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis
96 Posts

Profile of Suzanne
Ilusionista,

How small are your hands. From the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger, mine is 6.5" and across my palm it's 3". I use regular poker sized cards. What is it you're trying to do?

Suzanne
- Magic is what you are.

Suzanne's Web Page
Suzanne on Youtube
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Excellent advice, Hideo Kato!
I know a lot of male magicians who have hands the size of ours. Asian magicians in particular! This does not stop them from doing amazing card magic.

My mentor, Lamont Ream also has small hands but can absolutely blow you away with his card tricks. Part of the "trick" is to practice and practice until the cards become a "part of the hand".

I learned to palm a coin by carrying a palmed coin everywhere I went. Sometimes I would drop it, sometimes I would forget it was there. My hand learned to keep it in place and look natural. You can do the same thing with cards. Try walking around with a card palmed. Spend time working with cards. Use a bridge-sized deck and in time cards will become second nature to you.

I don't know if you are new to magic or not, but you might consider buying the following books:
"The Expert at the Card Table: The Classic Treatise on Card Manipulation" by S.W. Erdinase
"Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic" by Mark Wilson
"Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz
"Expert Card Technique: Close-Up Table Magic" by Jean Hugard
"Royal Road to Card Magic" by Jean Hugard

Enjoy!
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I find this topic interesting. Through genetics I have been given small hands too. I had problems learning some slieghts using poker cards. Eventually with enough practice though I was able to do basics like back-palming.

I still am unable to do any one-handed cuts. Been trying for over 10 years now! Of course this is not my focus in magic (card work) so I haven't given it the effort it deserves.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I asked a question in the card forum to find out which book card workers would choose if they could only pick one.

Check out this link to see what the card workers say: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
From the base of my palm to the top of my middle finger, well, it's 5.5, almost 6 inches, across, it's 3. I can do ok with cards, however, p**ming it is quite difficult, so are some color changes. Plus, my ring finger is bent in a uhm.. weird way, and it's quite deifficult to use the pinky as well. I was trained using the regular sized bikes, and well, I guess I just got used to it. There are some cards here in the phils (Winner club cards) sold for less than a USD, it's texure is okay, and it's thinner and shorter than the average bike. I found it comfortable too, but, since bikes are the standard here, I should abide by the norms. Anyway.. practice, I guess, would condition your small hands. Best thing you could do is take care of them and avoid cracking your joints. Avoid ironing, or too much card-practice, then instantly washing it off. It may be shaky and sweaty. .Anyway.. just take care of your hands. Hands, when you reach the age of 18, don't get bigger anymore.

Cyssa
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5474 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 19:31, Cyssa wrote:
Hands, when you reach the age of 18, don't get bigger anymore.

Growth actually continues from age 18 - 21, and the average age for end of growth is dependant upon sex and several hereditary factors. This is, though, only with regard to skeletal maturity. Additional growth may be realized with regard to weight gain (or loss).

Back to the topic... hand size (in my opinion, and from what I've both experienced and witnessed) has little to do with manipulation ability.
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 21:31, Magiguy wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 19:31, Cyssa wrote:
Hands, when you reach the age of 18, don't get bigger anymore.

Growth actually continues from age 18 - 21, and the average age for end of growth is dependant upon sex and several hereditary factors. This is, though, only with regard to skeletal maturity. Additional growth may be realized with regard to weight gain (or loss).

Back to the topic... hand size (in my opinion, and from what I've both experienced and witnessed) has little to do with manipulation ability.

Well, for women, it's 18. Males could grow all they want til 21. Well, it has nothing to do with manipulation ability, but for beginners' capability, it plays a big deal. Of course, we all have a starting point. I know of a great magician who's hands are almost as small as mine, yet could manage to palm, or pitch almost everything. However, if a beginner is the one in dilemma, then it'd be hard to 'adjust'. largish/ regular cards + kiddy hands would be a hassle at first. But within months of practice, it's no biggie.

Cyssa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Problems with card work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL