The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging talisman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
I need to age a talisman for a routine I'm working on. I have altered it so that it looks worn but it is shiny as a soldiers shoe. Any idea how to give it a more old look?
It appears to be made of an aluminum alloy of some kind. I bought it at one of those new age/ wiccan stores.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Places like Michael's, probably any art store, sell antiquing kits. I have used just paint on some things (e.g. copper paint and a bit of green spray).

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Use a degreaser to clean the metal. Then use thinned paint of the color that you wish it to take on to give it the proper outlook. Get the paint very thin. Use washes of it to produce the effect you want. Think in terms of dirty thinner.

Also, if you want to change the color of the aluminum, Rub and Buff is a great way to do it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Well-stocked stained glass supply shops carry different color "Patina" liquids to color/antique the frames around stained glass. I have successfully used this liquid to age various items (such as keys). This liquid reacts with the metal to cause something like oxidation (it might actually be an oxidation). It works on some metals, and not so well on others. I recommend trying this on a sample piece of the same type of metal before using it on the actual talisman. Also, I remember this doesn't work well with peweter. Also, I believe this stuff is an acid-based product and doesn't work well on hinges of boxes ... so beware.

I forget the actual name of the product, but it is inexpensive ($4 - $8 US). It is not carried by large hobby shops like Michaels, but only Stained Glass specialty stores. I remember I also found it on-line.

Also, I believe gun shops sell a product called bluing (??? or something like that) to give an antique look to guns. I haven't tried this, however.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Bluing puts an oxidized surface on steel (dark blue in color), which is not really antique, although today many firearms are chrome plated or stainless steel. Older firearms were, of course, blued. As far as I know, this only works on steel. I would check out the "patina" liquids as suggested by StrangeMagick. You could probably do a lot of interesting things with those.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Aluminum forms a clear oxide on the surface very quickly when it is exposed to air. This makes it difficult for chemicals to alter the surface color to look "old." If it is aluminum, applying a thin, transparent color coat may be the best way to handle the problem. Remember that true aging usually results in a wide variation in color and color density over the object.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Aluminum is really difficult to age effectively. Whatever you do, keep it away from salt water. Salt water is very corrosive to aluminum.

If there is a model railroad shop in your area, check with them for a Flo-Quill or Flo-Paque weathering kit. You can use one of these to make ordinary plastic look like rusted metal.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
Thanks for the help I will experiment with your ideas.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
If it's aluminium, good luck to age it...
If you are relevant, the industrial use of aluminium is more or less 120 years old (in my collection I have a 1897 Brussels universal exposition medal and a ritual dagger from the turn of the XIXth/XXth century in aluminium - the handle for the dagger). And at the time, it was considered quite a valuable metal.
The easiest thing to do is to use some kind of black tainting wax and makes it look dirty. Apply, polish and let some wax in the scratchs of your talisman.
If you wear it, it will polish himself.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
I would have thought that salts are JUST what you need! Let it Oxidise...THAT'S what Aluminum / aluminium does! What better ageing process than the one that actually happens?

You can also use the kind of tar or pitch used to seal roofs. Thin this with paint thinner and scrub it into the prop with a stiff brush. Rub off the excess and LET IT DRY for days. You will build up a nice, natural dirt and oil staining effect. It will contain browns, greens, yellows etc. Much nicer than black paint which often looks too clean and monotone.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll try them all and let you know what works best.
Curator, I would just like to tell you how wonderful Hauntiques is. Great work!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging talisman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL