The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » JAM Sessions at Magic Conventions/Conferences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Inspired by a thread by Ken Scott, on an old concept, that need more attention: The Jam Session

Back in the 1960's we had a day before the MAES Convention, the night before jam session. All those who participated in this night before event received a certificate from MECCA magic. It was more like training session then the JAM sessions we have at KIDbara.

The Jam Session (KIDabra)
Mostly attended by the "Night Owls" who stay up to the wee hours of the morning. A couple of cases of beer, a bottle of wine or two, and a half dozen pizzas, would be consummed before all turned in. Generally, there were no over indulging because the next day would be a full day's activity no-one wanted to miss. The one thing that stands out, is the laughter. The second thing that stands out is the conversations and learning. It is a wonderful JAM session where you get to really socialize with "stars" like Ken Scott, and Trixie Bond, as well as meet new attendees. No "airs" or "egos", and not schedule adjenda. Here we do see some close-up magic, or laugh at the antics of funny people like Mike Bent, Steve Kissel and Gary Shelton. This is where you get to be friends with others like you.

So the next time you attend a convention or conference, don't miss the daily late night JAM sessions, it's an extension to the fun and enjoyment of the event.

Hope to see you at a JAM Session!
Dennis
Dennis Michael
The Sorcerer
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of The Sorcerer
It is a wonderful JAM session where you get to really socialize with "stars" like Ken Scott, and Trixie Bond,

How do you define a star in children's entertainment?
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Well I don't consider myself a star by no means, but I do love hanging out in those late night jam sessions.

Stars for me are the guys who I can learn from, gleam info from them, the guys who have been in the trenches.

Ken
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Add to Ken's definition, those who are published, are quality lectures, have one or more DVDs, and/or have sold some really good magic products.

A Secondary Definition would be those who clearly demonstrated through national or international means their abilities as professionals, such as Terry Herbert and Trever Lewis.

Clearly Trixie Bond and Ken Scott fit that bill IMHO, so does Sammy Smith, BJ Hickman, Duane Laflin, Steve Taylor, Silly Billy, and of course Steve Axtell.

There are many Children Entertainers who might quality as a "Star" if they would only publish, and create a DVD that the magic community raves about.

Therefore I propose a "Children Entertainer Star" would be:

Quote:
Entertainers who we can learn from, gleam info from them, who have been in the trenches, share thier knowledge through quality lectures, books/booklets, DVD/VHS, original effects, revised routines, themed shows, and/or has the magic community as a whole recognized them for thier efforts, through reviews, magazine articles, conventions or conferences.

Now have them in a JAM session like we have had at KIDabra, well there are some very interesting stories, lots of laughter, and friendship bonds that will last a lifetime. Now that's a JAM session.

Quote:
PS...not well published but Ken Scott is also known as "Botania Star"
He's been seen "Flying in the clouds, running faster than a speeding rabbit, leaping hedges in a single bound."
Dennis Michael
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Although I don't get to many conventions, when I do late night sessions are usually memorable times. Seems as staying up late and being alert was easier in my younger days. The last convention I went to was in Boston (S.A.M. 2005) I learned both from the stars and the S.Y.M'ers. (youth)

During that convention a side benefit was to meet several folks from the Café as well as "stars".

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Sorcerer
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of The Sorcerer
Add to Ken's definition, those who are published, are quality lectures, have one or more DVDs, and/or have sold some really good magic products.

I disagree with the above. The true stars of children's entertainment are the little people who go out every weekend, and have never written a book, or lectured, or produced a DVD, but know exactly how to make a room full of children happy.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Lets go one further, Sorcerer.

The true "Star" is the birthday child.

How many potential entertainers who are unknown could be a "Star" according to the definitions above if they choosed to be. Everytime a children entertainer performs, they are also "stars" in the child's mind.

This thread is not really about who is a "star" but JAM sessions, and the importance of them as seen by those who have participated in them.
Dennis Michael
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
The Birthday Child cannot possibly by the 'Star'. Birthday people are what we make them for the moment.

We're talking about entertainers and who can provide the type of gold nuggets that up and coming performers and magical hopefuls need and desire.

I agree with the Sorcerer - it's the journeyman entertainer who knows from his or her practical hands-on experience how to produce an entertaining and captivating performance day in and day out.

Two thoughts for everyone to dwell on and which apply to the vast majority - not all - but the vast majority of pro entertainers, regardless of where they come from, what they do.

1. If you're honest help will be given.

If you're one of the smartarses who knows 100s of tricks forget it. Most pros admit to knowing a handful. But they know them inside out, upside down and can do them drunk or sober.

2. There's a vital element to entertaining that is unknown to anyone but a very well seasoned pro.

There. It's out of the bag now. If you knew what it was, you might doubt it. Question it. Or you might be afraid.

Pros know exactly what I'm talking about.

But this aspect is of no use to an amateur.

So in the context of this JAM post, the amateurs will benefit from the No.1 advice above.

Those who have been working pro for quite a while will benefit from the No. 2 advice.

Which advice do you need?
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

If you want help, then it is given freely at a JAM session, that is why they are so enjoyable. And lots can be learn from those who participate.

If there is none at a convention, you are attending, then you can create one, or a hospitality room, which is open to all who want to socialize and help others.

I do recognize there are those who work at this all week long, and perfer not to discuss "business" on their off time, however, there are also those few, who take what we do and seriously enjoy helping others on their off time. A JAM session is the place to do it.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » JAM Sessions at Magic Conventions/Conferences (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL