The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Lit match producer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

theaceofspades
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of theaceofspades
Does anyone know how I can get hold of a lit match producer in the UK. I would like to order from the internet, but all the sites, they seem a little bit dodgy. As if they would take the money and not deliver the goods. Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on this one.

Oh yeah, also, has anyone tried making their own lmp from a bulldog clip, and some sand/glass paper. I would be interested to hear of the results you received.

Thanks in advance

:righton:
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
You can make your own.

I have made a variety of them. But don't bet that sand/glass paper gets it.

Think - what if the match is struck against a match striking surface? Obviously, it lights. Why would you use anything else to light the match?

Match books are paper products. The striking surface is coated onto the paper product. You can split cards. And matchbooks are not even that high quality.

Enough said. PM me, if you still don't have it. Or if you want a tip or two.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
bilz
View Profile
New user
Cornwall, UK
88 Posts

Profile of bilz
I've used a homemade igniter quite a few times with no problems. Use safety matches and paperclip the sides together. Only using 2 matches. You can get away with reusing it once but it's better to make a new one and for 8p a box it's not exactly pricey!
Learn as if you would live forever...
...live as if you would die tomorrow.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Here's a simpler solution for producing a lit match.

Use a common book of matches.

REMOVE the staple and ALL the remaining matches in the book.

FOLD the portion of the book that is on the end towards the striking surface over on itself, forming a small pocket with the striking surface on the inside.

Place a single match in this pocket.

Leave about a half inch of the match exposed.

Scotch tape this pocket closed.

The pocket should be tight enough to cause friction when the match is withdrawn, but doesn't have to be extremely tight.

Experiment a bit.

TRIM the match book so it can be concealed in your clothing (collar).

Fasten this device with a safety pin to the underside of your collar.

The key to using this method is having the match held snugly, but not tightly in it's pocket.

Playing with fire is ALWAYS hazardous. Therefor, I assume absolutely no liability whatsoever for any tragic, unforseen, or catastropic consequences of anyone using this method.

Vince Boehm

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
Is it possible to use sandpaper as well as a matchbook or box?
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Geoff,
It depends on whether it is a "safety match" or a "strike anywhere" match. It should be obvious that you can find out by simple experiment. We do want to help but we can't be expected to do everything for you.
Sid Smile
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
I've done this with success...glue striking surface on both sides of interior of tiniest bulldog clip you can find. put a wooden match in the clip., safety pin this where you deem appropriate. It works well, for 2-3 strikes, but I always replace it after twice.

in a perfect world, the best clip that I prefer is the clip that you get with the clear acetate badge holder at conventions. You can find this at office supply stores. you have to experiment.

it's better if you make your own so if you're stuck in a foreign country, you can always make your own gimmicks.

Maritess
http://www.girliemagic.com
magician_carter
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magician_carter
I as well made my own. It is really simple and very cost effective.

Carter Smile
Without Magic, Life is Boring.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Lit match producer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL