The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help With Short Fingers... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MRReed
View Profile
New user
Lake Odessa, MI
58 Posts

Profile of MRReed
My hands are a bit smaller than average, I would say, and my fingers are anything but long. Practicing sleights like the one-hand shift are quite frustrating, even using a bridge deck. If my fingers were just 1/8" - 1/4" longer it seems I wouldn't have the difficulty.
Hours and hours and hours of practice on the shift alone seem to be getting me along very little. Anyone have any possible suggestions that might ease this "problem?"
Thanks!

Mike
The Affordable Card Presses
1-, 2- and 4-deck Presses at Card Presses
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
a hand pump?

just kidding. All I can say is lots of the big names also had smallish size hands.. your fingers might feel uncomfortable in certain grips or have difficulty reaching this corner or that, but this is more a factor of the muscles being unfamiliar to the movement, as the strength builds up, the discomfort will decrease.
MRReed
View Profile
New user
Lake Odessa, MI
58 Posts

Profile of MRReed
I hope you're right! In the past, however, it seems it has been a physical limitation, rather than a discomfort factor.
Thanks!

Mike
Neil Marriott
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
15 Posts

Profile of Neil Marriott
Geoff is correct, it's mostly just where your hands arn't used to performing the moves. So keep on practicing! Smile

If you still struggle, good use of misdirection will help a lot in pulling off the trick (regardless of hand size) whilst also being entertaining and not just all fingers and thumbs.
yken
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of yken
I am not clever with my fingers. If I feel very difficult using the sleight even with much of practice, I will just change another method.

I agree with Neil. My fellow magician taught me not to stick slights.

yken
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
practice, even if it doesn't feel right, when you first start magic nothing feels right untill you get it down. its just a phase, im sure all of the magicians on this site probally has similar problems to you.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
All good advice above.
Max Malini had VERY short fingers and yet he was a master at sleights and, of course, misdirection.
Keep at it but you may eventually find that a lot of what you want to do can be accomplished by other means.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I have small hands, but I'm doing pretty well with sleight of hand.

You may have to work a little harder, but I don't think short fingers will hurt your learning much.

Just keep at it.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
MRReed
View Profile
New user
Lake Odessa, MI
58 Posts

Profile of MRReed
Thanks everyone, for all the encouragement! I really appreciated it!

I will press on regardless... Smile

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help With Short Fingers... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL