The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Glue for making gaff cards? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I was wondering if anyone can recommend what kind of glue or adhesive to use when putting together DB or DF cards? I want to wait a bit until I try out dry mounting paper. I have used a few glue sticks, but when the cards dry they end up with a permanent bend in the card. Elmer's rubber cement was alright... but the card lacked that "THWAP" feeling, like they have no spine or something. Thoughts?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
-explorer?!
Yep.
Here I am...
Most cards consist of 3 layers. Face, back, and some "middle" part.
I think that you just peeled two of the layers and later glued them
together.
That's why it seems they have no "spine".
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Explorer's explanation sounds about right. When I use glue I use Elmer's Craft Bond acid free / photo safe "no wrinkle" Rubber Cement. Recently I have been working with dry mount tissue and I love the results. Crisp cards with plenty of "spine." Smile

Joey,
For what it's worth, there's a ton of terrific information here via the search engine, including the reason why your cards are drying with a curl (you probably already knew that, but just in case...), and Marty "Martini" Grams gives great advice and support when asked. He, for me, is the guru on the subject.

Best of luck!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I know about splitting cards ect. and the layers. But even if I put them together with the face, back and middle section they don't feel crisp. They feel more like cards I prep for manipulation.

See you space cowboy...
George 
View Profile
Regular user
New York
133 Posts

Profile of George 
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 11:40, Magiguy wrote:
Recently I have been working with dry mount tissue and I love the results. Crisp cards with plenty of "spine." Smile

I totally agree.

I've been using one thick piece, a thin piece, and a layer of dry-mount paper and the cards have been a tad thick. Depending on the brand of dry-mount paper you may want to try using two thin layers sandwiched between the layer of dry-mount paper.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Here's a good resource for the tissue and release paper...
http://www.film-source.net/dry_mount_tis......ctg.html
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
There is still a lot of information about making gaffs that could be put out, but one of the problems with doing so is that the majority of magicians would never invest the money required to do various processes.
Dry mount has been used by many over the years and even today there are gaffers who are using it. If you decide to go that route, I strongly suggest that you contact Todd Lassen and get his card genii. This is a machined block with an insert that perfectly holds a poker size playing card. It enables you to assemble the card components in the genii with the mounting tissue then insert the plate and apply heat to the whole unit with an iron.
While this works great for double back and double face, it presents some real work to do splits and half and halfs. But at under $100.00 you will have a unit that will give you that snap that you are looking for.
On the other hand, and unfortunately out of the price range of most magicians is a press. I have found the Bienfang 110S that comes in around $650-$800 (depending where you get it) will do a great job for splits and half and halfs.
A close friend who is in the printing and photo mounting business has a $9,000 Bienfang that utilizes tiny vacum holes that literally hold the parts together before applying the heat and pressure. Again way out of range, price wise for us.
I had been taught many years ago using the rubber cement method to make gaffed cards, and it has served me well for many years. I think it comes down to exactly what you want out of a card. I have been approached about doing additional dvd projects covering that other material that was not on "Art of Card Splitting" but when the cost factors involved in assembling the materials and tools was shown, I was told, "never mind, there would not be a market to recoup the investment of production, and magicians would not buy all those tools"
With technology what it is today, soon, one day, we will be able to order factory perfect custom printed cards in small quanity to fill our needs, but until then we have to go with what is available to us.
Sorry if I went on a bit, I am always here to help in any way that I can, so feel free to ask anytime you have a question that I may be able to help with.
All the Best
Marty
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Marty,
For what it's worth... I'd happily support ANY project of yours with regard to the art. I DID get a Lassen genii, and would LOVE to hear your thoughts.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Martini,

I'll second Magiguy in saying that any additional thoughts you have on using the card genii (of which I am a very proud owner-- absolutely fantastic utility Todd has come up with) would be greatly appreciated.

On a somewhat related note, kudos for all your work on the "Art of..." DVD. You are single-handedly responsible for raising the quality of my gaffs (especially your tips on properly using dental dam!)

Best regards,
PA
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
My main issue with rubber cement is with handling the edges of the card, it tends to roll off rubber cement that is between the sections. Then the edges start to slowly come apart.

See you space cowboy...
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
Thank you for the kind comments. Magicguy & Pasteboard Alchemist, I am going to put together a manuscript for the guys that already have a Card Genii, that will update what I have been doing with it. It may be a late spring/early summer, but will be worth the wait.
And by the way, it will be free to anyone who has a Card Genii.
To answer Joey's question, have you made up and used the alignment jig and are you rolling the card both sides and clamping it up to cure? This should prevent any problems with the card seperating, and any excess glue on the edges can be rubbed off easily. The rolling process is very important to seal the card layers and make a completed card. Clamping the card up helps it cure properly. I have on occassion used a card 10 minutes after making it, but later clamped it up overnight and found the card to be much better for continued use.
Joey, if you do not have the DVD, drop me a PM with your address, and I will get one out to you so that you can follow the step by step process, I think it would make a difference for you.
All the Best
Marty
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I never rolled them I just stuck them in a book to dry. But I guess I'll give the rubber cement another go.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Glue for making gaff cards? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL