The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are you laughing at? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As always, there are as many schools of thought on this topic as there are individuals. Our personality and developed character determines our methods. Red Skelton's brand of humor would never have worked for Don Rickles or Robin Williams, and yet all three can hold an audience in stitches. Children, and many adults, appreciate well-timed and anecdotal "potty" humor...otherwise the Captain Underpants book series and Spongebob Squarepants cartoons would be at the bottom of the family entertainment trash heap. Instead, they're drawing millions of dollars in revenue.

There is a place for the children-oriented Jonathons, Penns & Tellers just as there is for the family-structured Copperfields, Pendragons and Burtons; among all classes, nations and beliefs. If it works, it works. You can't argue with that.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Gently now Skip. Calm down. Don't get excited. Anything you say, dear boy. There now. Better?
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
-There is a place for the children-oriented Jonathons, Penns & Tellers-

There may be a place for them in your eyes, Skip. However, as children's entertainers I believe we have responsibility to give them a good, clean, wholesome start in life. It is true that this innocence will be ruined all too soon, as they go off to college and become indoctrinated with the biased political views of liberal professors. Surely we can keep that innocence going a little longer, while we have to power to do so?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I would have thought a biased liberal is a contradiction in terms.
Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
You would have thought so, George, but not in the U.S.A. Over here a liberal is a left wing Democrat, which is an essential part of any resume for a career as a college professor. Have you heard of Sean Hannity over there? He is Irish, and has a great talk radio show in this country.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2007-02-05 09:42, Tony James wrote:
Gently now Skip. Calm down. Don't get excited. Anything you say, dear boy. There now. Better?

I felt that my statement that the issue was based on individual personalities was logical and rationally stated, Tony. No attitude was meant at all. Your response, on the other hand, is offensive.

Quote:
On 2007-02-05 13:08, Smarty Pants wrote:
There may be a place for them in your eyes, Skip. However, as children's entertainers I believe we have responsibility to give them a good, clean, wholesome start in life. It is true that this innocence will be ruined all too soon, as they go off to college and become indoctrinated with the biased political views of liberal professors. Surely we can keep that innocence going a little longer, while we have to power to do so?

Once again...you're entitled to your opinion, SP. However, I believe that the popularity of commercial characters and storylines such as Captain Underpants, Spongebob Squarepants and similar kid shows clearly supports a market for well-structured, low-key potty humor. Why, just the other day I watched as Australia's incredible Wiggles used what I thought was rather low-key, but hilarious, potty humor. It's already there, and frankly, I see nothing overtly offensive in their style of humor. We can agree to disagree always. All I ask is that you try to see all sides of an argument before you and Tony condemn and insult the rest of us. Simple, no?

To be honest with you, having lived in England, I find the violence, physical and emotional abuse and chauvanist values employed in the common Punch shows to be far more offensive than anything I've seen from Spongebob, Captain Underpants or Ren & Stimpy. But that's my personal view. No attitude...just an alternative opinion.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
-All I ask is that you try to see all sides of an argument before you and Tony condemn and insult the rest of us. Simple, no?-

Skip, I will allow Tony to speak for himself. However, please do tell me, where did I insult the rest of you? And what does "the rest of you" mean? Everyone on the Café? I have many people out there who have already agreed with me on my thoughts on Potty humor. Gerry, a few posts up, is a great example. I suggest you re-read this thread, Skip.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Skip, my dear fellow, I'm so sorry if I offended you. It was never my intention.

I agree with you regarding 'the issue was based on individual personalities' Indeed it was and I have no issue with any of what you said.

However, you also said at the end:

" If it works, it works. You can't argue with that."

And I detected, perhaps wrongly, that you were possibly becoming a tadge overwrought. I never thought for one moment there was any 'attitude'on your part.

My response whilst intended to be calming was, on reflection, a touch insensitive.

We agree over many things and I hope our harmonious exchanges will continue.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Done and forgotten, Tony. Discussion is good. The "if it works..." comment, by the way, was just that...a summary comment. My comment was that what we call potty humor does work on various levels to the tune of millions of within our mutual markets. How CAN one argue with that? Whether it's right or wrong remains an issue of individual taste.

KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
What makes children laugh?...
One simple word:
TALENT
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
As in 'A Talent to Amuse'?

Go on Ken. Expand on this.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
I agree. Talent on it's own is irrelevant when it comes to entertaining children. David Copperfield has talent. However, put DC in front of a group of kids at a birthday party, and they could be rather bored. So, Ken, what exactly are you saying? Please do elaborate. Thanks.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Yep, D.C wouldn't do such a great job, I agree. All I was trying to say was: It will take more than just having great props and funny lines. You have to CONNECT with the kids in a way that leads them and entertains them but at the same time is FUN. To achieve this, it is going to take talent. Talent in blending all three and talent to ENJOY the performance yourself. Too much in any one direction will
make the performance just a magic show. Put together correctly with blending all three aspects will be an experience that will be remembered by all attending. This is and has been my personal goal with each kids show I have developed and performed over the years.
Now that I have retired from Stand Up Magic I can reflect back as to why and why not some shows went well and others KICKED #$s.
Just my view.
KW
Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
Excellent post KW. Thank you for the clarification.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are you laughing at? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL