The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Hollywood Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

XpresoAdct
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of XpresoAdct
Hello all, it has been a long time since I last lurked but it is time to balance my life and stop pouring it into my work. I live near Hollywood Magic and remember many enjoyable visits discussing magic with the staff behind the counter. However, I went back this weekend and it seemed like all new faces that I didn't remember and most of them didn't seem to be the magic professionals I remember.

Has the shop come under new management?

thanks,
paul
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
The shop is now being run by Greg (Louis' son). Ron is no longer managing the place. On Saturdays, there are some pretty good guys hanging out there. Any Saturday go in and ask for Luis. He does some very nice coin work. Every once in a while on Saturdays, Jonathan Neal Brown works there. Nothing like the old days though.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Alas, the old days were spectacular! It was a who's who on weekends with everyone from out of town coming in. I still like to think of the amount of talent that has worked there over the years. Jonathan and I still talk of the days! We both worked together on Mondays, got off at 6 pm and met Don Wayne and David C, across the street at Johnny's Steak House for our weekly round table. Usually just the 4 of us, sometimes joined by Jack Goldfinger and in later years Bob Dorian and Chris Hart. We would always have a great meal and a laugh, then head up to the Castle for Gong Show night. That was a great time in magic for me!
Ray Pierce
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I went there last December when I was in town, and I liked the place. I don't know who is who, but one guy was doing a lot of demo-ing for non magician customers. I bought a couple of books, one great, one not so good. I really liked L.A. a lot. I'd like to live there. And I have no interest in being a movie star.
I went to the Magic Castle for the first time and I felt like I was on sacred ground, all the greats that have been in there.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I remember when it was called Bert Wheeler's Hollywood Magic back in the sixties. Behind the "pitch" counter was a guy named Irv who did Rattle Bars, Magic Mouse, Svengali. Mike Skinner and Jules Lenier were among the pro section workers, on Saturdays you might see Blackstone Sr. Orson Welles, Vernon, Charlie Miller, Milton Berle, and down the street at the upstairs Joe Berg shop you see the same guys along with Slydini, Francis Carlyle, Jay Ose, and all the early Castle members who had nowhere to go in the daytime.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yes! Irv was a MASTER pitchman. His rattle bar routine was a classic. His handling was always a little sloppy but his psychological technique was great. If anyone caught a move or he flashed a gimmic, he would say, "Of course I'm showing you how to do it, you have to know the moves to do it well!" lol... Jonathan would just watch him in amazement!
Ray Pierce
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I dragged my wife (then girlfriend) to Hollywood Magic way back in 1991. It was my first visit to L.A., and Hollywood Magic was an accidental discovery. I loved it. She didn't. I don''t remember who was behind the counter. I just remember walking in and thinking, ah, cool. A real magic shop.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of slydini
I just heard that Hollywood Magic has closed. Can anyone confirm this?
Joel G
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Joel G
You heard right. Gated up and shut down forever. ANother business bites the dust in this lousy economy.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Wow! I was just down there Oct 20th and it was shut without any sign saying closed. I had breakfast across the street to await its opening. I asked the waitress if it was closed like, for good? She thought not since they would often come for lunch. It must have closed that recently. All I could think was how terrible Hollywood Blvd. looked presently and how sad to have one's name emblazoned on the walk of fame gone down in flames.Many of rich people own those properties that are so run down now.
Sad to see the shop closed for good.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Word is business was off and then the brother and sister who inherited control of the shop didn't get along and that was it.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Another one bites the dust.
NORITUCK
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of NORITUCK
Darn.
Wheeler Believer
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Wheeler Believer
I have recently been introduced to Bert Wheeler and his Magic Shop through my employer, Bert's cousin Bobbie Smith. I am writing a book with her, nothing to do with magic just her remeberances of her childhood. She just finished telling me about her summers away from Scottsdale, AZ in the late 30's and 40's to visit her Aunt Nora, Bert's mother, Bobbie would go to the magic shop and watch the shows and when she was old enough she worked behind the counter and waited on celebrities such as Mickey Rooney, Red Skelton, Edgar Bergman, and even met Bess Houdini. I have a great picture of Bert leaning against his car, but was hoping to find a picture of the magic shop. Any ideas?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
That was Johnny Carson's shop he frequented ( met Doug Malloy who introduced him to Dean Dill ).

All things come to an end. The Carson Show, Hollywood magic...the list goes on.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-12-01 12:32, Review King wrote:
That was Johnny Carson's shop he frequented ( met Doug Malloy who introduced him to Dean Dill ).

All things come to an end. The Carson Show, Hollywood magic...the list goes on.

Yeah, we finally came up with the byline, "Where the stars stop to shop!" as it was a stomping grounds for many celebrities. I remember a scruffy guy in a motorcycle jacket back in the 80's that was interested in coins, I showed up a lot of stuff and he loved it and got one of everything. He paid with a platinum AMEX, the name on the card? Nicholas Coppela Cage. Michaael Jackson stopped in regulary as did Orsen Welles, Johnny Carsen and so many others. They were superstars on the street but they were all kids when they came in there!
Ray Pierce
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
A great shop- in the early 50's( I was 16 ?) on a talent show with my Vent.. I won an elec plane - don't do planes -went to HW shop and asked if I could trade for some Magic, YES said a LARGE gentle Man -who was always a help and adviser - got a Die Box, Hat Loader and Large Imp Bottle -it started me on my way in Magic.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On May 24, 2009, Ray Pierce wrote:
If anyone caught a move or he flashed a gimmic, he would say, "Of course I'm showing you how to do it, you have to know the moves to do it well!" lol!

I know this is a really old thread but........

This is absolutely hillarious! I love it! 👍👍👈🏻.

a perfect out to keep everything moving along. 🙂. hahahaaa!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Hollywood Magic (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL