The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spoon bending history (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardima
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of cardima
Did uri geller was the first spoon bender in the world?
if not geller then who was the inventer and when

as far as I know ...geller was the first?!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Dr. Sawa was the first to publish a routine, that I'm aware of. It predates any performance of Uri's. Geller did popularize it though.

Tony
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Yes, but Geller was the first one to use superpowers from aliens for that effect. Dr. Sawa was probably just cheating.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Wait a minute, I made a mistake, Dr. Sawa'a effect was published in 1977 and named after Geller. Sorry.

Tony
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
So it's just like Geller's effect? Sounds like those aliens must be pretty bored to fly all the way to Earth and shoot lasers at people.
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
I am quite sure that Goofy invented metal spoons, especially
for psychics. Before these psychics began to become popular,
spoons were made of wood and Ivory.
And that doesn't bend.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Let me know if I'm wrong, isn't it true during the 1970s, there were reports of people who claimed to have the ability to cause such events. The most notable in the West was Uri Geller, a former stage magician who demonstrated his alleged psychic powers by bending metal spoons as well as metal keys and several other objects and materials. However these reports were met with skepticism by some scientists, and many reported performances were claimed to be tricks and frauds by professional stage magicians such as James Randi. In recent years, spoon-bending has enjoyed a revival, due to the spread of 'spoon-bending parties'.

In the 70`s most British people in became aware of paranormal metal bending when Uri Geller appeared on the Dimbleby Talk-In (Nov. 23rd 1973) and confounded those present with his demonstrations. The phenomenon has been described previously by Japanese Buddhists and in England in reports of witchcraft.

My definition of spoon bending is the deformation of objects, especially metal eating utensils, allegedly by paranormal means, either without physical force, or by means of physical force normally insufficient to achieve the effect.

Was I wrong on anything?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
You were wrong to quote Wikipedia and pretend it's your own writing.

- entity
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Many will be aware of the Bending Swizzle Stick effect in Jinx in the 1930's. I think that this is the earliest published "bending a stirring implement" I've seen.

- entity
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Now I do believe you are a mentalist.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I have seen articles that predate geller. Never seen a performance as I wouldnt have been born yet.
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
169 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
Its Geller's effect. PERIOD.
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Cavement bent spikes. I know there were no spoons back then or none have been found but the bent spikes have been found.
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
534 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
Didn't tarbell include some bending of metal? maybe I'm just going crazy...
Pete
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
None of the supposed forerunners to Geller's spoon effects are anything close to what he does. They're either sight-gags (like pretending to bend a spoon by force against a surface then showing it unbent) or obvious magical effects like the broken and restored spoon routine that appeared in Abra in 1967. Others have looked into this in the past and came up empty handed. Despite this, it is still fashionable in some quarters to describe spoon-bending as 'an old magicians' trick.'
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Maybe they mean that Geller is an "Old Magician".

- entity
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
Jay Marshall had an effect called "The Difference" in the 1943 Phoenix # 59 where a spoon is bent and then restored. But as Steve Knight pointed out, this is more of a sight gag as you appear to be using brute strength to do the bend. In fact, the opening sentence of the effect says, "Bending a spoon is an illusion not a trick." Little did he know it would become an entire genre of magic!
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spoon bending history (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL