The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Need help with a jumbo sponge ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
I've decided that I want to add a kicker ending to my sponge ball routine, where the balls fuse together to create a jumbo sponge ball.

My regular sponge balls are super soft, but my jumbo is not. It's a 4 inch jumbo, but it looks a lot bigger than I expected. When I put it in my pocket, it creates a fairly large lump that is surely noticeable.

Anyone have any advice on keeping a jumbo sponge ball on, while not appearing to have a bowling ball in your pocket?
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
You could try cutting two adjacent sides out of a plastic milk gallon, and placing this into your pocket folded; the folded sides will keep the sponge ball flatter in your pocket while still allowing you to get it when needed.

You'll have to play with the shape of the plastic to get it to your liking and, most likely, you'll need to cut a notch shape to allow you a good grab on the sponge ball.

I hope that made sense?!?
Learn something new everyday.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's an idea...use a growing ball. You can incorporate it into your routine at the end, and it is small until you don't want it to be.

In fact, I have 4 extra. If you want one, I'll sell it to you cheap; PM me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I usually keep mine in my back pocket until it's time for it to come out. Also, the heavier the material of the garment you have it in, the more difficult it will be for the sponge to push against it and be noticed. Inside pockets are also good places, as are underneath a belt, if that fits what you want to do. Also keep in mind that the audience doesn't know what you're going to do, and so they won't be looking for odd bulges on your clothes.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can soften a sponge ball by squeezing it together, grasping it hard and pulling your hands apart. What this does is destroy the insides of the ball. Practice on a small ball first, so you understand what you are doing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Thanks, guys.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what Woodrat is trying to say.

I sent you a PM, Frank Starsini, regarding the growing ball. I never knew such a thing existed.

MajikAbra, I just tried the back pocket, and it appears when I'm at a formal occasion and where my jacket should cover the lump, so this may be my solution.

Bill Palmer, I will probably try this after I wear down my balls. I can't really afford to mess up any of my new sponge balls.

New ideas are still welcome.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He is saying what I was going to suggest, build a little containment unit for said ball. The walls of the unit will keep it from expanding in your pocket. To soften your ball, wash it in Woolite; it will be softer. I avoid the super-soft and use regular ones softened with the Woolite, because the super-soft gets warped pretty easily.
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Another idea:

If you wear a jacket, take a large safety pin and attach a clothespin to it (put the pin through the circle in the center of the clothespin), and pin the unit into the inside of your jacket (just above the bottom of the jacket, towards the front, positioned a just above your left pants pocket). Gently pinch a little bit of the sponge ball and grip it with the clothespin. When you need to obtain the large ball, lean slightly forward, moving your left hand towards the right side of the table or performance area (from your perspective), slipping your right hand just inside the jacket and pulling the ball free.

I'm sure there are several other methods besides this one and the ones previously mentioned, but this one works for me.

One more: Get a square of really strong double-stick tape, and put it on the inside of your jacket. Gently press the sponge ball to it, and obtain it exactly the same way you would with the safety pin, only a little bit quicker.

Okay, last one...I promise: Take up Frank's suggestion on the growing ball. It's a very wonderful prop.

Best of luck...
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a 6" super-soft ball. (Make sure to spray it with water the day of your show.) Check Duane Laflin for availability. (Actually, I think Mary is in charge of those!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
klefkow
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of klefkow
Try a short length of PVC tubing in your pocket.
Stuff the ball ~80%~ into the tube, and attach the tube with string and safety pin to the innards of your pants pocket. When the ball is needed, just tug on it and it will expand as it exits the tube. Let me know what you think. Ken
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I've PM'd you a more detailed description of what I mean.

Cheers!
Learn something new everyday.
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Try sticking it in the upper corner of your pocket. It's kept small and out of your way for other pocket props.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Need help with a jumbo sponge ball (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL