The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Revelations vs. The Annotated Erdnase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
I have a copy of Ortiz's Annotated Erdnase. In order to complete my education, I was considering obtaining Revelations. How similar are the two books? Are they complementary?
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Revelations has considerably less commentary than AE. Obviously, they are similar in that both contain the complete text of Erdnase'd "Expert at the Card Table," but Ortiz offers significantly more detail and commentary on the text. This is not to say that Vernon's comments aren't good; just sparse.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of luvisi
They are both very good books, they just have a different focus.

Revelations is more about the text of Erdnase itself, Dai Vernon's ideas on how to do Erdnase's stuff and what you should pay special attention to in the text.

The Annotated Erdnase is more of a historical cross reference. Ortiz describes where he thinks Erdnase learned stuff, where other people took Erdnase's ideas and gives tons of references.

If you are looking for references and ideas on what other books would be good to buy in order to get a better historical perspective on card magic, The Annnotated Erdnase is a wonderful book. If you are trying to understand Erdnase better, you may find Revelations more enlightening. Personally, I'm glad I have both.

Andru
http://www.practicenotincluded.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Revelations vs. The Annotated Erdnase (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL