The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
After decades of failure to find a reproducible
demonstration of any paranormal phenomenon, PEAR, the
Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research laboratory,
is shutting down, reportedly due to of lack of
funding. Robert G. Jahn, founder of the lab that for
so long embarrassed Princeton, had this to say: "If
people don't believe us after all the results we've
produced, then they never will."

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/10/0820225
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Professor Jahn seems to think that they've proved enough. Or is that just how I read it?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Slim,

I think you read it correctly.
To read the entire NY Times article, you can register
online...or visit http://www.bugmenot.com in order to
borrow someone else's account id and password.

(I just used "microsoftfanboy" as login id
and "microsoftblows" as the password. They worked
just fine.)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Quote:
The first and most generous donor was his friend James S. McDonnell, a founder of the McDonnell Douglas Corporation.

James S. McDonnell, the same person who donated half a million dollars to the Washington University's Project Alpha. You know the rest of the story; after four years of extensive rigorous research, they proved that Banachek has supernatural powers Smile

Quote:
In one of PEAR’s standard experiments, the study participant would sit in front of an electronic box the size of a toaster oven, which flashed a random series of numbers just above and just below 100. Staff members instructed the person to simply “think high” or “think low” and watch the display. After thousands of repetitions — the equivalent of coin flips — the researchers looked for differences between the machine’s output and random chance.

Analyzing data from such trials, the PEAR team concluded that people could alter the behavior of these machines very slightly, changing about 2 or 3 flips out of 10,000. If the human mind could alter the behavior of such a machine, Dr. Jahn argued, then thought could bring about changes in many other areas of life — helping to heal disease, for instance, in oneself and others.

I'm trying to be polite, but I can't. These guys are a bunch of idiots. No need to spend millions of dollars for this. If anyone would like to try the experiment, just send me an email. I will send you a simple program that prints random numbers close to 100, and you try to influence it just like the experiment above. Good luck.

Quote:
“It’s been an embarrassment to science, and I think an embarrassment for Princeton,” said Robert L. Park, a University of Maryland physicist who is the author of “Voodoo Science: The Road From Foolishness to Fraud.” “Science has a substantial amount of credibility, but this is the kind of thing that squanders it.”

Exactly my views. There should be room for science fiction only in the university's department of literature...
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
[quote]On 2007-02-12 19:14, Omid wrote:
Quote:

I'm trying to be polite, but I can't. These guys are a bunch of idiots. No need to spend millions of dollars for this. If anyone would like to try the experiment, just send me an email. I will send you a simple program that prints random numbers close to 100, and you try to influence it just like the experiment above. Good luck.

Sounds personal...Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Millionaire idiots Smile ??????
Who's the idiot?' If they finally found something Paranornal, they would have made even MORE millions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL