The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spider Pen review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Also posted in the spider pen problem but I'd thought I'd post it here. (Just a very short to the point review Smile )

I just got mine today. I felt scared opening it because of all these stories but mine is working flawlessly. I've been practicing on and off since 2:40 floating dollar bills. I love this thing! I'm careful with it but I don't see why I need to be. I ordered an extra spool along with extra batteries. I like the strength of the thread. I had to cut some thread off because it got tangled (my fault) but there is still a lot of thread left. I'm happy with my purchase I'm going to use it today for my 22 year old brothers' birthday today Smile If anyone got any questions just ask.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Be carefull with the pocket clip. Mine broke off and it was a pain to repair. Other then that it has worked great!
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Blindside785,

I am glad you started a fresh thread on the Spider pen. I just want to say that I love mine! It looks amazing as it looks exactly like a run of the mill pen! The motor is really quiet, fast and smooth! I have used it for all the effects that I normally do, but I can think of so many other things I want to try. After my first pen that didn't work, I now have a quality one! Just make sure you unscrew it a little so the battery doesn't drain. It can drain so fast!

Marc
mustlovemagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of mustlovemagic
I have to say...when it works it's great! When it doesn't, then watch out. Someone has got to be able to take the shortcomings here and come up with the ultimate motorized thread reel pen.
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Profile of dodgechargerrt30
I like mine I'm thinking of posting it for sale here the reason I am gonna do that is because I have found that as of right NOW I'm not interested in floating things lol

but mine worked GREAT and I love the thing I would reccomend it to someone who is interested in this kind of thing
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I have used mine ever since the IBM convention in Reno 1 1/2 years ago, and I love mine too. I bought extra batteries and thread spools, but have not yet needed them. Great item. I agree with you-all
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
May be I am the lucky one. I got 2 and both is flawless. I think the best part of it is that it always give steady tension that is just right. This is something the reel pen not doing as well.

But I hate its look. Usually I hide it inside my jacket just like the reel instead of using it to write.

Since I have 2, one is in the drawer for 2 yrs now. But its still workiing fine and the battery is alright. Still I think I am better unscrew it a bit to save the battery's life.
vanishingrabbit
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of vanishingrabbit
I love the spider pen although the pocket clip protector breaks off real easily. Be careful....I always unscrew the lid from the battery so it will not drain the battery when I'm not using it. The thread is pretty tough for invisible thread and not tood bad to fix when the thread does break.
Magically yours,
Brent Smith
EvanAlexander
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of EvanAlexander
I also had the plastic pocket clip break off from mine, but I shot Yigal an email and he sent me one free of charge. As far as finding the thread on the spool I recommend giving it a couple sharp blows as Mesika recommends or rolling the wax into a thin hot dog shape and brushing it on the sides of the spool (this will cause the loose end of the thread to cling to the wax).
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
I bought one and had issues. I don't think the quality is all that. I have some friends that have all had problems with theirs. I took good care and still had issues. I am glad to hear that folks on here are having such good luck.
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I bought a spider pen last year. I used it several times with limited results. The quality is really lacking. The top keeps falling off, the clip broke, and the thread kept breaking no matter how careful I was, not to mention the battery life wasen't all that good. I threw it in the drawer and ordered me a thread boss from sorcery. Now that's a great ITR! I like it so much I ordered a spare...
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
My Spider Pen has languished in a drawer for some time now. Sadly, I felt the quality wasn't good enough. It was very difficult, kept having problems due to the cheap materials used. My feeling is that the IDEA is superb, but Yigal has tried to keep it too cheap. My suggestion is that he develops a "New and improved" Spider Pen which would cost more, but be more robust. Surely, this item should retail at over $100, and it should be QUALITY!
(BTW, can anything actually BE "New and improved"?)
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Hmmm...after writing that last post, I got my Spider pen out of the drawer. It still works fine, and I realised that maybe I was being a bit unfair. The main problem for me is the thread breaks very easily. No doubt this is because I'm not very experienced with invisible thread. I noticed that Yigal offers a reel of much stronger thread if required. Perhaps this is all I have to do. It is a remarkably easy ITR to use, though I still maintain that it could have been better made.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
The thread it came with shouldn't break so easily after you have practiced and learned the tension of the IT. Remember that the IT usually breaks between the external anchor point and whatever is attached between that point and the mid point. From the reel itself to the mid point you have all the slack in the world so it will not be breaking from there.
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
Yeah, but once it snaps its a pain to find the end of the thread again Smile
Magicgeek
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Magicgeek
Blow on the spool. Of course it breaks easliy IT's TINY thread your using.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
It's the easiest ITR to fix and the EASIEST to find the loose end on the spool. Sucking for the loose end on the regular ITR's is a pain, especially when using Kevlar. I use both though, they both have their purposes but I use both basically to have one running from the waist up and the pen for running from the chest down. Some effects works better from the chest down hookup and some are better with the waist up hookup.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spider Pen review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL