The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anybody own a Palm Pilot? Need technical help, please. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If you have a Palm and use it regulally, maybe you could give me a clue to a technical problem...if you are good at that kind of thing.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've owned a number over the years. What is your issue?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, the problem is with the sync feature. when I press the sync button, nothing happens, ZILCH.

The after a couple minutes the screen says "unable to establish a connection with your desktop."

It's so dead, it doesn't even make the "sound" when you push the button. Even the sync icon does not appear on my screen.

So I checked the connections and made sure I had good connections and such. I cleaned all the contacts.

Still nothing.

So I wondered if the problem is in my PC..easy way to find out; we uploaded the disc on my sons new laptop, and he got the same results. Dead.

So we put it back on my PC, and un-installed the disc, then re-installed it. Same thing.

That logically left only one thing: the cradle.

Solution? I go to Ebay and find a brand new cradle, and two weeks later (today)I have a new cradle..I set it up, plugged it in and ...you guessed it. Dead as a doornail.

I don't know what else it could be. I'm stumped.

Any ideas?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Need to know:

Your computer general info, and the exact operating system you are running.

Exact brand/model palm unit you have.

Need to know what the software installation disk says.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I guess the problem got solved? It could be a few things.

I use my PALM all the time. Not for magic though. Smile
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
That logically left only one thing: the cradle.

Actually, that would not be correct. It would leave TWO things...the cradle or the palm pilot itself.

Did you clean the connections with alcohol and a qtip?
Did you check the connections on the palm pilot itself?
Are any of the pins bent or look funny?

Lastly, have you actually tried another palm pilot or tried to sync with a friend's setup that you know works?

For all intents and purposes, you've done all the logical troubleshooting steps except for the pilot itself. It could be that there is an interface chip inside that has gone byebye. It's not an uncommon occurrence, unfortunately.

Also, is the Pilot still under warranty? If yes, get it repaired if at all possible. If not, well...you're just going to have to break down and spend the cash to either get it fixed or replaced. Sorry about that.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Usually its because of the connection cable. Make sure it is really tight and secured. Should be alright after
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've basically done all those things..even the resets...still doesn't sync. I
m still using it though...my life is in that thing.

I used to have a thousand post it notes everywhere...but that's history.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Did you try the "Trouble Shooting" menu? It could be the computer port, if you have a second connection option try that. Like Chessman said, make sure you are using the correct software. When I used PP's it always gave me a fault message; even when it synced with the software I was running, it couldn't link with what I didn't deselect in preferences.
POOF!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I did the trouble shooting menu (the thing might as well be written in Greek!)...that's where I learned about soft and hard reset. I tried cleaning the port..I even purchased a brand new cradle on ebay..still same problem.

then I tried connecting to my sons PC..same thing.
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I don't know what Palm you have but since you can't do a sync it would be a good idea to do a backup to an SD card.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
The problem is that I have an SD card, but it will not allow a back up of the memo section, which is the MAIN information part of the pilot that I rely on most heavily.

You can back up games and such on the card, but it doesn't allow memo back up. That sucks.

What were they thinking?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anybody own a Palm Pilot? Need technical help, please. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL