The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded Shell Coin Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

james08
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of james08
Can anyone help me? is there a possible way that you can make your regular coin shell to a magnetic coin shell? your help guys is really much appreciated....
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Well you could simply add a shim to it. However, depending on the thickness of the shim and the depth/quality of the shell, it may alter how well it covers the coin.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
It looks like this has been done. Go to http://www.cupsandballs.nl/php/products.php?id=2 and look for the string "Expanded Magnetic Half Shell". Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about the reliability/reputation of this web site or the company behind it. This particular item is selling for Euro 165.00.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Are you talking about an actual magnetic shell (The magnet actually being in the shell) or shimmed with a ferrous metal shim, making it attracted to a magnet?
Shimmed shells are available, but inserting a magnet into a shell might be a problem.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If you are worried about thickness...

Check out the Chrome-foil tape sold in Auto parts stores...it's a kind of muffler bandage, but I buy several rolls at a time and use it for all sorts of things...

The one I have IS magnetic (I brought a magnet with me to check before buying).

A small piece fits perfectly inside, and there are no THICKNESS issues. Just peel off the backing and stick it in!

Good luck!

Doug
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Doug,
Great tip! I never thought about that stuff.
I also found, at CVS, refrigerator magnet tape. Its a little thicker than electrical tape, its sold for taping onto pictures etc. to hang on the refrigerator. The magnetic strength is pretty weak, but it might be useful for some applications.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
Check out the Chrome-foil tape sold in Auto parts stores...it's a kind of muffler bandage, but I buy several rolls at a time and use it for all sorts of things...

The one I have IS magnetic (I brought a magnet with me to check before buying).

If you had to bring a magnet with you to test it, then the foil is not a permanent magnet, just attracted to magnets.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I never had any luck with the flexible refrigerator magnets. way too weak.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
earlmat
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of earlmat
Doug,

That is an excellent idea. I have often struggled with the same issue. I thought about inserting a shim in the shell, but, worried about the shell have enough depth to properly cover the coin. Your idea appears to solve that problem.

Thanks

Earl
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi,

I have a couple of expanded shells that I converted.

CAUTION ADVISED...

I used a normal tin-can lid (iron of course - not aluminium)

Cut a shim out of a tin can (careful - it's sharp), hammer it flat, polish the edges with wet'n'dry sandpaper (press it flat against a wooden block with one hand - don't try and suspend the razor sharp edge in your fingers).

Then some super (crazy) glue into the shell - making sure you don't glue the assembly - give it time to dry.

Anyway - it's a 20 minute job, did three coins that way for use with a Raven so I now have scotch and soda, expanded shell and a hopping half set that can be stolen with a magnet.

I also fixed a flipper coin using superglue - if you are careful it bonds OK but breaks with ease using a knife edge.

Did I mention PLEASE BE CAREFUL - cutting tin needs gloves and a pair of tin-snips.

The thickness is minimal the properties are good - especially with a PK ring/Raven effect.

Also - you need a lot of care when glueing your Gaffed Coins youself - but it can turn a cheaper coin set into something really useful - so, for me, it was worth a little time/effort.

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Hmm.. Doug...Is the tape metal or will pick up metal(a magnetic tape....

A magnet will pick up another magnet or just metal...

I will check out Walmart and or Auto stores...

The magnetic strip coils seem to be too thick, but have been used by this nearly normal guy for other purposes....

The foil, could be a great tool...will wait and see..

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
james08
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of james08
Thanks guys for the awesome input guys! really much appreciated!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2007-04-02 11:09, Harris wrote:
Hmm.. Doug...Is the tape metal or will pick up metal(a magnetic tape....

A magnet will pick up another magnet or just metal...

I will check out Walmart and or Auto stores...

The magnetic strip coils seem to be too thick, but have been used by this nearly normal guy for other purposes....

The foil, could be a great tool...will wait and see..

Harris

Doug had sent me an email, and as I remember, the material was just attracted to a magnet, not a permanant magnet itself

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded Shell Coin Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL