The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Do You Compress Video File Attachments in Email? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I would like to send an email with a video attachment. However, my email program limits attachments to no more than 50 MB in size. The clip I'd like to send is 148 MB in size, and it's a .mov file (Quicktime). Is there a way to "compress" the file so that I can still attach it to the email and send it? I've heard of something called "WinZip" or something like that.

Thanks for your help!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
A Quicktime movie has already been compressed to it's smallest size at that sound and image quality. I don't think zipping it would help substantially (but I'm not sure). WinZip is a free program, so it wouldn't hurt to try. You can compress it more with a video program, but there will be a loss in quality. At 1/3 of its current size, I would suspect it would be degraded a lot. Is it something that you could cut up into pieces? How about overnighting a CD?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Windows moviemaker gives you the option
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
That's a LOTTA megabytes. Zip won't do much for you.

But you could upload it to a service like rapidshare and let your recipient dsownload it from there.

Any way to break it into manageable chunks, and either let the recipient reassemble it, or watch it in "chapters"?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
As said above, video formats are already compressed so zipping them won't help. This is also true for jpg and other images.

You can either make the file smaller by reducing the resolution/quality/framerate or split it.

WinZip (and other compressions programs I'm sure) give you the opportunity to split the compressed file into chunks. Maybe you could split the file into 4 chunks and send them individually to be rejoined at the other end.

FWIW you can't email binary files. It just can't be done. So email servers/programs encode binary files into ASCII format and send them that way. This just about doubles the size of the file being transmitted.

I'd reduce the file size if practical.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 15:49, acmp wrote:
FWIW you can't email binary files.

You email any text you want, including no text at all, and include the binary file as an attachment.

Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 15:49, acmp wrote:
It just can't be done.

A very dangerous phrase! Smile
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Try sending it via yousendit.com, a great free FTP service.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I would second rapidshare. Use it a lot, always satisfied
Cards never lie
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I used rapidshare.com to send three of the video files. The one file that I'm having trouble sending through any method is 148 MB in size. None of my email accounts nor even rapidshare allow files to be larger than 100 MB.

Rapidshare was a great suggestion, and it was fairly easy to use. And free!

Thanks for the help!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Burn it to a CD and mail it if you're just sharing with 1 or 2 people.

Use some free utility to break it into 2 parts and Rapidshare it, directing your recipients where to get the same utility to paste it back together (then they can delete the utility if they wish) - try this one http://www.download.com/Star-Downloader-......=lst-0-2 or try this one http://www.download.com/Split-Files/3000......=lst-0-1

There's a nice utility to split avi or wmv video files into smaller, stand-alone chapters - http://www.download.com/Stoik-Video-Conv......=lst-0-3

If you have a website, upload the file to your website - create a page with a link to the file - then, there's no need to allow just anybody to navigate to it - just leave the page unlinked to anyplace, and tell your recipients the page's unique address - they can "right click and save" - delete it when they have gotten it.

acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
For those who doubt my very off topic 'you can't email binary files' please read the SMTP white papers. SMTP will only send text. That is all it will do, no matter who you are or what email program you use.

As I mentioned non text files (ie binary) need to be encoded, this converts them to plain text so that SMTP can send them. This effectively doubles the size of the email as it is transmitted, increasing the time taken to send it. This can also fool server size limits that bounce over sized emails.

You may not like my over dramatic phrasing but the fact is SMTP will only send plain text.
acmp<><

acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Any way...

I like the idea of Ross's split it into chapters, that sounds like a very worth while program, I'm off to DL it now
acmp<><

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 15:47, acmp wrote:
SMTP will only send text. That is all it will do, no matter who you are or what email program you use.

All I know is that when I send an Internet Explorer email, it has the option of one or more file attachments in any format at all.

I dunno whether, in the background, it turns the attachment into that lovely SMTP text we used to see when downloading photos from newsgroups - and it doesn't matter, really. It does it in the background, and it has its limitations, but it can be used to send anything from a .jpg of your kitty to a movie of your baby to an audio file of your favorite tune - ANY format.

If you doubt it, send me your email address and I will send you a message with all three file types attached.

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 12:15, rossmacrae wrote:
Burn it to a CD and mail it if you're just sharing with 1 or 2 people.

My computer is not able to burn CDs. When I custom-ordered my computer from Dell a couple years ago, I elected to not have that capability because I never have a need to burn CDs -- until now.

Someone told me that any local drugstore's photo department/lab will be able to burn the 148 MB video file onto a CD for me. All I have to do is take my camera's memory card into the store and ask them to do it. I will try this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Do You Compress Video File Attachments in Email? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL