The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Help finding dress clothes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gink103
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of gink103
Hi I’ve been working restaurants for a few months and have been usually wearing a full 3-piece suit. I would like to wear something that is somewhat more casual but still makes me stand out as being a professional.

I would a nice black silky shirt that I could wear without a tie, and would match with some dress pants and shoes. I couldn't find the shirt I'm looking for so any help or ideas would help.

Thanks
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Depending on where you are and what you want to spend, I would recommend a trip to The Mens' Wearhouse. (Yes, I think they spell it that way on purpose).
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you want to be noticed I suggest a vest, or suspenders, or a hat.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Use of colour or patterns can make you distinct.
Please don't over do the patterns though.

See a tailor or visit a menswear store and tell them what the purpose is and the image you are trying to portray.

Sometimes a hat or vest alone can make a difference. (I'm not saying wear just a hat or just a vest...you might not get the reaction you are looking for)

I recently went through a costuming excercise. I was after an urban, street magician look. I had some help from an enthusiastic saleslady, who came up with a 2007 village pauper look. Pageboy hat, cargo pants (great for storage) and a great looking shirt (kinda like a pirate shirt just no ruffles) to complete the look.

I now actually feel like a character and a performer rather than just a guy with neat tricks.
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Whatever you decide on wearing, make it say something about you or your act! The clothes convey so much even before you bring out a card or coin. You can make your clothes set the tone and work for you.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Magyckmyke
View Profile
New user
Lafayette La
57 Posts

Profile of Magyckmyke
Isn't wearing a hat indoors still considered bad manners and disrespectful ?
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Either way you attract attention.

More seriously, I believe that the hat has to be suitable for the venue. I am in my early thirties and wouldn't (and don't) think twice about wearing a dress hat indoors. A baseball hat however: Never. That's just tacky.

If it part of the "costume" or "character" I would think that it is excusable.
Will
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Try a local tux shop, they have shirts like that, and may have some other things you can use to make a "performer" costume that is somewhat business casual.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Try textured shirts with french cuffs. Possibly a textured suit as well. Zegna makes some incredible patterns and has some great textured suits. The Zegna line is expensive but a good suit should last you a long time and should be viewed as an investment. Pay attention to the particulars. Belt and buckle, cufflinks, shoes, etc. When you are dressed sharp head to toe, people will notice. If you can, try a personal shopper or even have a girl friend take you shopping. Some of these tips have served me well for years. Of course it also helps that my fiancee works in the fashion industry!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Help finding dress clothes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL