The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unconventional by Christopher Taylor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I really like the way Christopher Taylor thinks. As with Inside Out, his goal is to show “how effects are constructed to illustrate what inspired us about the magic we see in the world.” Christopher has a very unique take on performance that even if you don’t share you can learn a lot from.

Unconventional includes a wonderful discourse on psychological forces. Christopher draws parallels to the Classic Force, lays out 3 factors that need to be in place to maximize your odds and a way to neutralize misses.

There is a unique handling for the Out To Lunch method that creates a hybrid of OTL and double writing/pocket writing. Christopher doesn’t mention it, but it could be used for nail writing too. There is also a bit on indexing as related to OTL that made me smile.

Christopher shares routines that are essentially multiple outs. However, by combining them with other techniques they are effectively hidden and transformed within the context of a meaningful event. I can’t really say more without tipping too much.

Next comes a unique pocket writing desk to use with tissue paper. Why tissue paper? Think flash paper and you’ll get an idea of the kinds of effects created.

As in Inside Out, Christopher uses techniques of visualization to enhance his effects. While the use of visualization can be more drawn out than some performers prefer, he gives us examples of how to use this tool in even the briefest of effects. There is a great introductory line Christopher uses that sets the tone quickly and that I want to steal!

The routining used by Christopher is elegant. I’m a big advocate of “justifying your gaze” and Chris does just this in a wonderful routine involving a cleverly hidden crib that you get to stare at when needed in a way that no one will ever think that is what you are doing.

There is a Kurotsuke like routine that could have been simply and inexpensively made and sold for big bucks. Instead, Christopher tips it here and I think a lot of mentalists are really going to like this handling

Ever hear of a pocket printing press? Me neither. Christopher describes how to make one and the wonderful effects possible with it. As in all his ideas, and by conscious intent, these methods are easily adaptable to other effects and really got me thinking. Within this description there is a handling for the center tear that could have been expanded into a chapter on its own. It indirectly addresses all the concerns that tend to plague mentalists about using the CT.

Runes will smoke, mysteriously appear in all sorts of places and add mystery to all sorts of effects. Christopher includes an appendix illustrating the Runes and describing the meaning of each. He also includes appendixes to teach you how to manufacture your own rubber stamps for the printing press, “smoke from hands,” and a fluid for making images appear on glass. There is a thought-provoking essay on performing mentalism and bizarre magick for children that breaks new ground.

Unconventional is a great value. Christopher’s attention to detail and structuring routines is reminiscent of T.A. Waters. His thinking behind props and prop management reminds me of Tommy Wonder. And best of all, Mr. Taylor is a wonderful and entertaining teacher.
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
Wow, thanks, Bill, for the detailed review. Can we quote your review in our advertising?
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Of course, Richard, I am flattered you ask.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
How many pages are in the book?
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
From Ottomezzo: "How many pages are in the book?"

Enough to reach the end Smile.

I'm paraphrasing a statement attributed to Abraham Lincoln. When asked, "How long should a man's legs be?," The Great Emancipator responded, "Long enough to reach the ground."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unconventional by Christopher Taylor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL