The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Half Pass Inventor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ajaxone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of ajaxone
Y’all know who and when invented the half pass? Because I’ve looked in the "Royal Road..." and "Expert Card Technique" and couldn’t find it. Dude huhu
I’m sure there is an expert at the card table that could tell me.
Thanks, Alex Day
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
This is a good question!
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
The earliest Half Pass I've seen is Henry Christ. There isn't much information as it is about the Half Pass as it is, which makes it difficult to pin-point who invented it.

Much like the TT. I'm sure thousands of years ago Egyptians used things on their thumbs to make stuff disappear.

Josh London
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
According to Wesley James and the Magic Lineage Project, the Half Pass was an invention of Henri Decremps Pinetti and first published in 1790 in the book "Testament de Jerome Sharp."

More recent and valuable sources of Half Pass variations can be found in Giobbi's Card College Vol. 4, or the Richard Kaufman's "On the Pass" re-release onto DVD.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I thought the inventor of the half pass was S.W. Er. :0
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Today I found Jean Hugard's translation of 'Half Pass' in July 1942 issue of "Conjuror's Magazine". The original description is in "Testament of Jerome Sharp" (published in 1786, not 1790) by Henri Decremps as Michael Sibbernsen-san posted.

The Half Pass is not like the one we commonly use today. We reverse bottom half. But the old method is to Pass the top half to bottom revesering the half in the process.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
The same method as Decremps wrote is also written in Professor Hoffman's "Modern Magic".
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
On a related note, when did the strategy of facing the pack as a switch method come into use?

Ie one turns over the deck (secretly) and then openly takes the top card(s) as if they were the cards previously seen on the top of the pack?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
As far as I know that switch of cards Jonathan-san mentioned was used by Ponsin in his Ace Assembly. It is written in "Nouvelle Magie Blache Devoilee" published in 1853.

Hideo Kato
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
Perhaps its the original creator of the Ovette Master Move..... whoever that is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Half Pass Inventor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL