The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » soft thumb tip vs. hard thumb tip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I would like to understand the reasons of the two different types, and their uses.

Also, what is you preference?

Thanks all Smile
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
I think it's just preference. I have always used a softer one solely because I prefer working with them. I suppose the hard ones are better for vanishing lit cigarettes and that sort of thing but other than that I think it falls down to mainly preference.
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I use both, for different things. At $5 a pop, it's probably worth experimenting, to see which you prefer. It is all personal preference
family/magic/music/life
cheeto4567
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of cheeto4567
I always go with the hard TT. In my experience, I found the hard one to be easier to get onto my thumb from my pocket. But I'd try both of them and see which one you like better, being that they are both cheap.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Lets see do we need a ¾ inch spanner/wrench or a ½ inch spanner/wrench? Both are tools, both are spannere/wrenchs. They may both be able to remove a ¼ inch bolt and, on the surface, both may appear to do the same job. But each is designed to perform a somewhat different task.

TT’s are similar. You use the tool that best fits the job. Some jobs (tricks or effects) are best done by using a soft TT, others by using a hard TT, and still others may be done using either.

I have a “wardrobe” of TT’s. Some are highly specialized props and are designed for a specific function (gimmicked in a specific way), some are metal, some are latex, and others are plastic. I have two that are my own design necessary to perform a specific trick that I used to do.

However, most magicians don’t exploit this little prop, limiting it to vanishing a ridiculously small square of silk so, for them, it doesn’t make any difference what kind of tip they use.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Mr. Murphy is, as usual, quite correct. Yuo need the correct tip for what ever job your doing. If your going to make Jay Scott Berry's Eclipse tip then you need a soft one. For a bill switch I prefer a hard tip as there is less drag. I have built some flash igniters that also require a hard tip. Buy a few of each and play around with them. also don't forget about finger tips, you can usually fry those who know about the thumb thing by using a finger tip instead.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
I use the hard one, don't like the soft one havin trouble getting it of my thumb

so hard one fore me:D

Niels
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Vernet now offers a semi-soft TT. It's slightly longer than their hard TT, but not as soft as the soft ones. It is my new favorite. I always thought the soft ones were too soft and the hard ones were too hard. This one fits the bill nicely for me. YMMV

Jim Morton
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » soft thumb tip vs. hard thumb tip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL