The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Introduction to Coin Magic by Shigeo Futagawa (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Can somebody give a one or two sentence review of this book? I don't want a "copy and paste" from the internet. This is only for people who have the book.

Best,
msc455magic
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I bought this from Lybrary.com and was disappointed. Although it's cheap the detail and diagramming are poor. I would not recommend it unless you are an avid coin man who wants to collect all possible texts.
The long and short of it is that if you are experienced and want a resource then I would stick with Bobo (stay away if you are inexperienced though). If you want technique go for Roth's video/DVD series (or possibly Ammar or Stone, though I haven't seen either these two).
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1179 Posts

Profile of Chris
I have studied with Futagawa-sensei for more than a year in Yokohama. Rest assured that Futagawa is one of the masters with coins. I think this ebook is a good introduction to coin magic but certainly does not compete with Bobo. If you want to know what a true master of coin magic suggests you to learn, then it is definitely something you want to get. However, I have to admit that coin magic is typically harder to do than say cards, and so one might be better off starting with a DVD. But this depends on your own style of learning.

Best,
Chris....
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
I happen to have a hard copy of this book.

This was not bad, but not the best either. It had some good ideas. As a collector, I am not complaining.
To believe is Magic.
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
I agree with the posts above. As a collector I have the book, that's it.

I would start with a DVD perhaps with Michael Ammar's "Complete Introduction to Coin Magic" which I HIGHLY Recommend. It is also sold for a below average price for DVDs, around $20 I believe. With 80 minutes of video it has a lot on it to get you started!!

Then if still interested in coin magic, get a copy of Bobo's and then on to David Roth's wonderful DVDs.

regards,

M
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I actually love this book. While introductory in nature, the illustrations are very simple and precise as is the language. And coin magic should be just that, simple with the requirement of perfected and precise simplicity. The most important movements are highlighted with multiple illustrations as compared to the real lack of illustrations in Bobos (as compared to Kaufman's beautifully illustrated coin books, for example.) Because of such, I think this is a better starting point than Bobos. In this book, every routine, vanish, etc. is illustrated, simply, but adequately so you get the general movement.

There's not much language in ITCM but the language and simple motions of the illustrations provide interesting insight. I have it on my desk right now as I was working on the finger clip and other vanishes. Some of the movement illustrated with a couple arrows improved my retention vanish, and you know how important each improvement is to such a movement. Several illustrated grasping motions during a finger clip vanish helped that as well.

This is an honorable book for someone interested in learning coin sleights. It is not a book you read for entertainment, but to gain insight and to learn. Pick up a hard copy though, as it's a book you want to have in front of you, easily accessible and usable. It's in my top four coin books which include:

Bobos
Coinmagic by Kaufman
David Roth's Expert Coin Magic by Kaufman
Introduction to Coin Magic by Shigeo Futagawa

I generally prefer books to DVDs so it's difficult to compare to Ammar's which I have and have viewed on occasion, but I tend to read the above books for coin work.
Abiloko
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (Spain)
55 Posts

Profile of Abiloko
I love this book too: the title don't lies, is an introduction to coin magic. maybe it's not a 'Total' book about coin magic like the Bobo or Roth's books, but for the beguinner maybe it's better to learn a few techniques good, that not a lot of information. I buyed recently an used hardbound copy, the drawings are not spectaculars but are very clear, the text have good explanations, exercices to master each technique, and a lot of tips and advices for the apprentice. If you learn all the contents of the book, you are in the good way.

Best regards.
Best is yet to come ¡¡¡
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
I have to agree with the two above posts......great book.
It's exactly what it says it is - An Introduction to Coin Magic.
Best,
J.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Guess, it rounds up the library nicely . . .
Cards never lie
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I have enjoyed it... and if for no other reason than the great photo of Pete Biro near the back!!!

RevJohn
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I have had this for years and am a big fan. I use the material all the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Introduction to Coin Magic by Shigeo Futagawa (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL