The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Horrible moment? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This isn't a mentalism thing, but it is the kind of thing that happens when you don't take care of details. I had two shows the same day. One was a show for a business, the other a Bar Mitzvah. I did the Bill in the Lemon on both shows.

At the second show, when they read the number off the dollar bill at the beginning of the routine, I realized I had goofed and given them the wrong one. I had two choices. One was to have them cut the lemon open, read off the wrong serial number and say "And the serial number has magically changed to ...!"

I figured out a way to switch the bill they had read back in for the one they pulled out of the lemon. But I really had to think on my feet for that one!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
One of my students did a great bill in lemon. During one performance, he was using an extremely sharp knife, and cut completely through the lemon, and the bill. He recovered, and it was hilarious!

Not mentalism, but I can relate to bill in lemon stories. Thanks, Bill!

J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It was good he did not cut his finger. Btw, I hope no one did hurt themselves trying the Bill In Lemon.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Okay Chi,

This isn't about mentalism either, but I hope it will suffice.

About twenty years ago, I traveled to Michigan and was performing at a string of churches. In those days, I did a routine with a Spring Skunk (similar to Rocky Raccoon but with different jokes and bits).

During the routine I kept a red, plastic bulb syringe filled with water in my right pants pocket. I would steal the bulb during the 'feeding' bits and use it to make the skunk 'wizz'.

Anyway, inside one church near Port Huron, I dropped a deck of cards on the floor early in the show and bent down to pick it up. This innocent action inadvertently squeezed the bulb and emptied it into the front of my tan trousers. When I stood up, there was a HUGE obvious wet spot around my zipper.

People laughed. I finally stammered out, "Sometimes I get the worst stage fright ever...can you tell?" Brought the house down.

To make matters worse, my pants didn't dry until the show was over. Halcyon days.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I remember I was trying out my current closer for the first time.

It was a pseudo suggestion piece, requiring a quiet and sombre theatre setting. I introduced the effect beautifully. everyone was ready to go.

my spectator came up front, I stood her in front of my electric chair (alpha magic) and used my normal instant induction - similar to derrens hand on face.

I went into it, and the moment I started the induction - the girl burst out laughing and the largest glob of snot came out of her nose and landed on my jacket.

the horror.

she was uber embarrassed, as was i, but the rest of the audience didn't really see it because I had my back to them during the induction.

so I just asked her to sit and relax in her own time. anyway later in the routine I used the electric chair - and the same thing happened again. the snot went down her chin and onto her lap.

oh the merriment.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
LOL - I hate to admit it - but I have two sets of Brian Caswell's Trilogy and performed a ten minute or so presentation before revealing - yes you guessed it, the wrong set! Thankfully, my (small) audience were laughing so much - it didn't really matter. But it will NEVER happen again! Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
In my stage show I used to end with a multiphase routine where I was blindfolded then proceeded to pop cups that had one which housed a sharp shard of glass, called out cards that two people held from a shuffled deck, redraw a secret drawing and finally put my finger under six hand axes... five which were triggered to fall and stop about an inch above my finger.
Okay, so that's bad enough to keep track in my head, but the routine just before this was my Shadow Routine and it would end with the Devil's Cola Bottle. One night, after the bottle broke, I noticed pieces had fallen outside of the large bucket that was under the bottle. I briefly cleaned up and did not notice that one small sliver of glass had pierced the tip of my index finger... I have a very high tolerance for pain.
Well, during the multiphase, I did not know that I was smearing blood on everything I touched... and there was a lot of white on stage: Styrofoam cups, drawing pad, etc. Apparently it looked like a bloodbath when I finished the routine. Some told me that they thought that was my normal presentation and liked it.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Chichi,
your screw ups are great, it`s totally funny! maybe you should think about doing comedy mentalism!!!
I can`t stop laughing! Smile
kiki
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Oh, the snot stories... Once I went to see a well-known professional magician live on stage. Following the performance, he signed autographs in the lobby for those attending the show. I left just before the show ended so that I could tell one of his folks in the lobby that there was a huge booger just inside his nostril during the entire second half of the show. He got rid of it before greeting the folks, thanked me, and asked that if this ever happens again I leave my seat and bring it to his sound guy's attention. We had a big laugh over it.

The worst thing that ever happened to me "live" was the time my finger got severely sliced while producing an aluminum foil production coil from Chink Cans during a children's show. One of the kids grabbed and yanked, and suddenly there was blood everywhere.

The worst thing that ever happened to me "non-live" was in a dream a few nights ago when a friend and I went on stage before a packed house and realized that none of our illusions were assembled.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I did a show in a nightclub about five years ago and after the midnight show I went to the restroom. I tucked in my shirt, washed my hands and went to do the later show at 2:00am. I was packing my stuff at the conclusion and looked down to my horror to see my fly was open the whole show!!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
george kaye
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of george kaye
Dear Chums,
This happened to my Dad many, many years ago.
He was performing the 'giant memory' as part of a Concert Party Show in Brighton England. His assistant was unable to be there so he decided to get members of the audience to write on the board.
He was wearing a blindfold.
He started to rattle off the remembered objects and there was no applause at all. It turned out that the chap who had come up to help could not write! The next chap to 'help' was an 'organiser'. He took command of the situation and wrote the objects on the board as they were shouted out; unfortunately he was not writing the objects consecutively against the numbers. My Dad remembered all of the objects but not against the correct numbers! He left the stage to the sound of his own footsteps!
As they say, "what is the sound of no hands clapping?".
Cheers dears,
George
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 19:09, TT2 wrote:
One of my students did a great bill in lemon. During one performance, he was using an extremely sharp knife, and cut completely through the lemon, and the bill. He recovered, and it was hilarious!

Not mentalism, but I can relate to bill in lemon stories. Thanks, Bill!

J.

I used to use a very sharp knife for the Bill in Lemon. The version I do permits the spectator to cut the lemon open, so I would warn them about the sharp knife. Still, it was problematic. Vito Lupo suggested that I get a pumpkin cutter, because it will not cut human flesh. I did this immediately. It worked fine, but was not really what I wanted, because that orange plastic handle looked out of place at the venues where I perform. Also, the blade was a bit longer than I needed.

So I took one, removed the handle and put a walnut handle on it instead. I still use that particular cutter in my act. Vito gave me exactly what I needed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
The second effect I did in a show once involved a sharpie marker. I guess I got some on my fingers and didn't realize it. I then rubbed my forhead. I had no idea what was going on until I got in my car to drive home and realized I had a huge black streak across my forehead. So Basically I had done around 45 mins of stage work and then spoke with several people after. I guess nobody had the heart to tell me I was walking around with black marker on my face. Boy was my face red.....In a black streak kind of way.

oh boy oh boy... how funnny. Reminds me of the time I did a whole show with an enormous bogie stuck to my glasses. You see, you just can't see something when it is that close up. Boy, was my face green!

Quote:
The other is the time I did Osterlinds Magazine test. Except I never wrote down my prediction (how stupid is that?). I am all acting proud only to turn around a completly white board with nothing writen on it. The crazy thing is I put in a good one liner and the crowd busted up laughing and gave me a big round of applause. Now if only I could remember what my one liner was. I might start doing that in every show. Smile

Ahahahahahaha... oh my, that is crazy! And in "Osterlinds Magazine test" of all the effects! You are cracking me up here. Never done that same mistake maself, little fella, although I did make a bad mistake one time for a show down at the Black & White Bullock back near my home town (U.S.) when I clean forgot to turn up! Was watching the Bluejays thrash the living daylights out of the 69ers, and just lost track of time. Boy, was my face red. lol
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Horrible moment? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL