The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Celebrity Status (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
Lol... I think maybe at times we illusionist or magicians give too much applause to those we see as "celebrities" in our industry. For me Copperfield is my favorite... to me he is world famous --- however I just asked my friends and girlfirend if they knew who david Copperfield was... and well none did... interesting. I guess although he is famous he isn;t yet a household name like say Houdini.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
YOu'd be surprised how many people in magic don't know who he is. I was talking to a guy at WMS this past year, seemed pretty knowledgeable about magic. Johnny Thompson walked by and I said hi to him. The other magician and convention atendee I was talking to said "who was that?" I said "Johnny Thompson, you know the Great Tomsoni and Company", to which he replied, "who's he and what does he do?" (This guy also never heard of Dai Vernon). So even living legends (and dead ones) often go unknown even in the art.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
Interesting....I guess it also depends on how involved you are in the craft...or what field you speciliaze in.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
As one magician, said, "Ask anyone to name five well known magicians." You will be amazed even how many magicians that have difficulty with that on.

True, Houdini was a magician but that wasn't what made him famous. It was his escapes. He was an escapeologist. (An extension from his father's business as a locksmith.)

After, Naming Houdini and Cooperfield, they draw a blank.

TV has made David Blaine and Chris Angel some top choices.

Lance Who?
Dennis Michael
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You'd be surprised how many folks under the age of 25 don't know who Houdini is...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
This was the same that I was saying about our concern for originality, the newest illusion, or routine.

With so little variety on t.v. you are perhaps the only magician some folks have taken the time to watch, let alone seen live. So to them YOU are the celebrity.
Take this as a responsibility to do your best.

When I do sessions about the history of magic, I sometimes poll the audience. Start with Angel and move through Blaine, Copperfield, Henning, the local celebrity, and end with Houdini. It will amaze you as to how few in the public know any of these folks, with the exception of Houdini. Use this to your advantage and make yourself the "star of magic" in their eyes.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Excellent point Blair!

You may be the only magician a person has really seen in their lifetime. When my son married, his wife had never seen a magician!
Dennis Michael
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
Wow... this is all great input -- and when I ponder it for a moment, it makes so much sense.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
More people in my area know Clarol the clown over David Copperfield. She is seen by more locals then David. Celebrity is often a regional phenomenon.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Dennis,

So has your son's wife now seen a magicician, who was he???? (LOL just joking!)

BM
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-03-26 04:22, Dennis Michael wrote:

True, Houdini was a magician but that wasn't what made him famous. It was his escapes. He was an escapeologist. (An extension from his father's business as a locksmith.)

Houdini's father was a Rabbi. He might have been a Lox smith but he wasn't a locksmith.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
I think that is so true! I am "the magician" in my city... I market myself very well..do publicity stunts and keep my name plastered everywhere in good old TRUMP style

Quote:
On 2007-03-26 11:16, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
More people in my area know Clarol the clown over David Copperfield. She is seen by more locals then David. Celebrity is often a regional phenomenon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Celebrity Status (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL