The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hey this practice stuff really works! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Well done Fingers! What a confidence booster!

As an aside, did you perform CoinOne with dollars? What was the set up? I'm curious how you found the angles.
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
That's great! I'm curious about a couple of things also (angles etc.), but whatever. That's great!

-Travis
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay Fingers,
Good job man! No Pants Down there man!!! Smile! Yea Some times you just get on a roll and thay thanks your god!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Yes rutabaga and Travis, I used Morgan silver dollars. Actually I go to the pub once a week and in the previous weeks I had contiplated what I would do to perform "CoinOne" there, which was a good idea, because I eventually did as I said previously.

There is a wet bar in there and away from the bar they have seperate small round tables where 4 can sit conveniently throughout the remainder of the pub except where the dart boards and pool tables are. What I did was grab a chair from one of the tables and turned it around facing away from the table as opposed to facing inwards towards the table and performed while sitting and leaning over right under an overhead light so everyone could see. Everyone, about 20 or 25 people, was standing gathered around my chair to see what I was doing. There were approximately 50 people in the place, normally there probably would have been say about 80 or 90.

I had no angle problems whatsoever, because I was seated and everyone else was standing watching. To top it off I used Rannie Raymundo's invisible muscle pass, who I must thank for the great idea from his "Ode to Homer" video, for the first coin crossing which I performed perfectly, with a lot of luck on my side. I never did it as well, even while practicing, as I did that night. The timing was perfect, the pass of the silver dollar to my fingetips and the clink of the other coins rang in just perfectly, it was beautiful!

I heard one person say "Did you see that?" and another "No I missed it, how did he do that?" while I was performing, it looked great especially, because I was so low and my audience was standing and at a considerably higher level, it was like the coin just jumped up from my one hand real low to the other raised high invisibly with everything perfectly timed and right in there faces. It was like I had practiced the move for 20 years. Ha, but it will probably take another 20 years before I could do it so perfectly and exactly like that again, but I am not complaining. I hit a hole in one there. The remainder of the routine I pretty much performed as per the "CoinOne" DVD except for when Mr. Liwag put the coins on the table, here is where I asked someone to hold there hand out and I used it as the table and finished with the melt vanish.

This night did not go anywhere near as I expected. I thought I would just perform Dan Watkins "CSB Assault" for the barmaid, hopefully without any mistakes and then ask her how she liked it.

Well, this barmaid is about in her mid 20's and I don't think she has ever seen any serious coin magic before. I didn't ask her, but I will next week. The reason I say this is, because she went totally out of character. Normally she is quiet and reserved and particularly that night a bit bored, but when I performed for her she went crazy, at least for her normal personality. It was all I could do to keep her hands in position to continue performing the routine, she was literally shaking with excitement once the first phase was complete.

I really got a taste of spectator management there. I had to keep telling her and moving her so her hands would stay positioned properly. I was really not expecting for things to go that way knowing what her personality is normally like. It was more of a job keeping her positioned properly than actually performing the routine itself.

I think we forget when practicing and learning to perform a routine the initial effect it has on a person. We get all wrapped up in the routine itself you forget how the routine blew you away when you first saw it. Well, that was the story here, she saw the routine and I didn't have to use my first plan and ask her if she liked it, it was obvious she had been "totally" blown away. I seen it in her eyes, she really thought, at least for that short time, she had seen some "real" magic. It felt so good to me, because I know I really made her night and she won't forget it soon.....

I am chalking this up to my first "real" performance for about 20 to 25 people of whom I didn't know, well, except for 3 of them, who were my friends. It went much better than I would have ever expected. I am riding on air right now.....

Thanks Mr. Neighbors, this was a culmination of all my hard work practicing, practicing and practicing to give me a bit of legitimacy for my efforts. It was what I have been working towards for a long time and finally got my first true crack at it and it was fantastic and well worth the effort.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Your wecome fingers! I use to do a stand-up 4 coins trou a bar stool for years!
Just today I got to do it trou a glass table top! Smile! Ok so looking good Man! Smile!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Fingers, that's really great! So, next week at the bar there are going to be some expectations... what's your encore? Smile
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
That sounds real cool Mr. Neighbors, I mean the standup 4 coins through a bar stool. I like the idea. I certainly would like to check it out. I can do a coins through table, but I need to be seated.

Already thought about that rutabaga. I am contemplating doing "Four Coins Your Hands" by Dan watkins or "Copper/Silver Transposition" by David Roth. Can't decide which right now, but it has to be a "girls" routine first, you know one where you need to use the hands of a "girl", ha. Either one will do, I just can't decide which one as of yet.

If it goes beyond that I will do David Roth's "Hanging Coins". I know about the angles. I also would perform it using Morgan silver dollars for a maximum visual effect and I know how I can do it without worry. There is one side of the pub where there is a wall about 4 feet from the bar and at a place at the bar where everyone would be able to see. I would make sure that I sit there and put the wall at my back, so no one can get behind me. That is all I would need to perform the routine. I could handle the angles from there.

Finally I would do the "Spellbound" routine by David Roth if I get the chance. I think I could handle the angles on that too. I love that routine and I have been practicing it for months and months now daily to where I can do it in my sleep.

Well, wish me luck, becaause I intend on going in head first.....
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Good Luck!
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
LOL... let us know how it goes Fingers - and good luck!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Best ti you Fingers! I'm back in Manila now! Pls let us know how it goes! I'm glad your havin fu with my invisible mpass.LOL! I showed it to shoot and he cracked up! He was laughing crazy!

Later man!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks Will-Ace, I will need all the luck I can get.....

Thank you rutabaga, I'll let you know, good or bad.....

Hey its "The Boss", it was so great talking with you while you were in the states Rannie! I am glad you had a safe trip home!

You would have been proud of me Rannie. I have been working on your routines, but haven't had the time to perfect any of them yet. However, I have been practicing "CoinOne" since it first came out, daily and I incorporated your "invisible muscle pass" into it on the first coin crossing. It looked beautiful when I performed it, you should have seen the peoples faces, it really stunned them, because they weren't expecting it! You would have been proud of me man.

It was a "lot" of luck, mind you, but that "invisible muscle pass" was one of the highlights of my first "real" performance. The reason I say a lot of luck is, because I did it with a perfection I have never done before, even in practice and when everything just happened to be real quiet, everyone heard the solid clink of the coins perfectly timed with the pop of the first coin to the fingertips, it just stunned everyone so much and that was just the beginning of the routine! It definately served to get me their undivided attention for the remainder of the routine. I even got two free beers out of it from two guys who were watching and thought the routine was great. Hmmm, so I guess I did get compensated afterall.....

Anyway, I want to thank you so much for your help Rannie, it has been very inspiring! I have a feeling I may have to perform "CoinOne" again next week. Judging by the reaction, I don't think they will let me be unless I do an encore performance. No matter what, I will let you know how things go this coming week.....
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

HI Fingers,
Cool man Thanks! If you would like to take a look at it It's in the 20th. year of Apocalypse! It's The Glass table Handleing! ( but you could also use a bar stool! ) You can get Vol's 15-20 hard bound now From L&L! OK thanks man and good luck!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thank you Mr. Neighbors for the references. A routine like that where I am going would be perfect.....
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Hi Fingers,
Your so wecome man! Good luck on it!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I am big on Okito box routines Mr. Neighbors and I seen on your web site the book "Professional Coin Box Magic". It looks really good from the write up. I guess it will have to be another book to add to my collection, I can't resist.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hey this practice stuff really works! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL