The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Collard Problem? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bahamagician
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of bahamagician
Hi All,

I recently purchased John Archers superb routine, Collard. However, I am having a problem with the gimmick sticking. I don't want to give away the working but the gimmick is not sliding out into the hand. I have to hit the holder a couple times to get it to slide out. The strange thing is that it has no problem sliding in and out until I start writing. I think the pressure of the writing is somehow causing the gimmick to stick. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, how are you solving it? Thanks in advance for any help.

-=Chris
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I use this and have not had the problem you describe- maybe some slight sanding with a small piece of sandpaper to reduce the edge contact would help?

Gravity alone should do the job, so there must be a problem with your gimmick...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of jcroop
I have sent you a PM with my similar experiences and my solution.

Jim
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Yes your gimmick must be defective coz mine is flawless in operation
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I just picked this up and also had a few questions about handling. Can the name be cleaned off the tag after each performance? I noticed in the instructions a suggestion to use black paper, but I don't really understand how that would work--do you glue a piece of paper onto the metal??? Do any of you ever have any "chatter" problems at the critical moment? And my biggest problem, the name certificate itself--since no actual example certificates were included, do you just cut printer paper to size, or do you have an actual notepad that you use? I tried to cut a piece of printer paper and attach it to the plastic with a removable glue stick. It looks pretty bad. And on top of that, the slot is at the very bottom right corner of the plastic, so does that mean that I have to right the name on the 'certificate' very small in the bottom right hand corner??? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! -J.R.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
This would be better handled in Inner Thoughts.. but I'll PM you shortly...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I do collard trick with a don wayne room service, ok it's more expensive than collard but it's works to 100%
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 23:43, J.Robert wrote:
I just picked this up and also had a few questions about handling. Can the name be cleaned off the tag after each performance? I noticed in the instructions a suggestion to use black paper, but I don't really understand how that would work--do you glue a piece of paper onto the metal??? Do any of you ever have any "chatter" problems at the critical moment? And my biggest problem, the name certificate itself--since no actual example certificates were included, do you just cut printer paper to size, or do you have an actual notepad that you use? I tried to cut a piece of printer paper and attach it to the plastic with a removable glue stick. It looks pretty bad. And on top of that, the slot is at the very bottom right corner of the plastic, so does that mean that I have to right the name on the 'certificate' very small in the bottom right hand corner??? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! -J.R.

I use a stenographer's pad -- it's perfect for this.

Any more specific discussion, though should probably be handled in "Inner Thoughts"
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of archini
Hi all,

First thanks for buyng collard.
Ok I'll try to answer some questions without giving too much away though I think that it won't make sense unless you know what the heck I'm talking about anyway.

1. The disk shouldn't stick in the holder. It can now and again get attached to the carbon type paper used though this isn't usually a problem. Make sure your holder isn't bent or twisted if it has gotten too warm. If it happens in performance I make a clapping motion as I ask the audience to give the assistant a round of applause. As I do this I am holding the pad in my right hand. This will always free it up.

2. I always attach black paper to my disk as I think the writing takes better to it. I simply glue it onto a torn piece of black paper with Rubber cement (This will peel of easily later.) when it6's dry - a few minutes I trim it with a craft knife. If you don't want to use paper then fill in the disk with a permenant black marker and the writing will rub off easily. you can touch up the pen as you need to.

3. I just write the certificate by hand each time on a page of the pad. It takes 30 seconds. If you want to have it printed (Less comedic in my eyes) then just set one out the right size in a publisher programme and print it out. There is an illustration of what it should look like.
You can cut, and put the plastic holder where you like under the sheet. The bottom doesn't have to line up, nobody sees it. The slot can be where you need it.

Hope that helps, off to lecture in Hitchin now Smile

John
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Thank you for your help John, it's a great effect and I've been playing around with it a lot in the past few days trying to find the perfect handling. Please see my post that I'll put in "Inner Thoughts" about this effect.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
I have had the same problem as you J. Robert.
so its not just you!!
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Being unfamilisr with this effect I am a bit mystified by the name. I assume it in no wise refers to pungent greens of the same name.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Collard Problem? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL