The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Joel Givens' upcoming book!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Looks like you can now order this from Joshua's site, $40, and read an excerpt from the book, it looks fantastic, very different to how magic books are normally written! Read about it on his blog:

http://joshuajay.wordpress.com

Order here:

http://www.joshuajay.com/merchandise.html
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Without even having this yet I already want to vote it book of the year!!! I can't wait to get this! I KNOW it will be awesome!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
kadz
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of kadz
Does anyone know if most of the material will be cards? He contributed in the semi automatic series so I assume he is more of a cardman?

But read the excerpt and it's a sugar packet trick...so will it be mostly cards with a couple of everyday object effects?

Anyway, the style it is written reminds me of a few chapters in Dear Mr Fantasy by John Bannon where the effect & explanation are written in story forms.
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello everyone,

Now that Session is done and nearly ready to ship, let me try and answer some of the questions and fill in some blanks.

While Joel Givens has devised lots of card tricks, I think most readers will be shocked at how much non-card stuff is included. Stuff with q-tips, a VERY clever coffee trick where you invisibly “cream” your own coffee, sugar packets, straws, coins, books, silly putty, and lots more.

In fact, to keep the ratio well balanced, I cut about 6 card items (some really good ones) and put them in ANOTHER booklet, called Five Forty Seven. This is sort of an unattached Prologue to Session…you can find an except for it on my website (and all pre-orders through me will have one sent out free, courtesy of Joel and myself).

One other point related to the contents is the unique way the book is organized. You’ve been hearing about the novel/magic book fusion, and I’ll let you experience that in the excerpt. But this format brings up a potential problem: navigating the book. The book just starts with chapter one, because it’s important that the reader get thrown into the story without warning…and the pace doesn’t slow down.

So…in the back of the book, there’s a very handy table of contents, that lists not only the tricks and page numbers, but also brief summaries of each effect. This is rarely seen in magic books, but it’s an excellent tool. After all, how many of us remember what the effect is with a trick like “One for Sheila” or “The Monkey Control.” But here, you get a description so you can search a trick you want to review, or skim for something that sounds interesting.

Also, there’s a detailed cross-index, so every name, trick, place, and move is referenced in the back for quick access. And for those who get Five Forty Seven in the pre-order, the index even cross references THIS booklet’s contents…so you have a way to search it all.

Best,

Josh
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Looks incredible. I have wanted a book like this for quite awhile. Looking forward to this arriving on my front door. Already pre-ordered. For the amount of material and quality that appears to be coming through in both the book and the additional booklet it was pretty much a no-brainer for me =)

--Jim
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
This looks great ill be looking forward to it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Joel Givens' upcoming book!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL