The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Close up mat material (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Profile of Curt from Canada
I am working on a table top and need to know how to make the material that goes on the inside. I have heard the neoprene if good for the top but I need to know how to apply it and whether it needs a base of foam.

( I have never bought a close up mat before so I don't really know what its made of )

here are the plans

Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Heres kind of the way I want it to turn out:

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Some Neoprene comes backed with foam, and some does not. There are also different thicknesses. There are special spray adhesives that are designed for use with foam and rubber. Other types will hold initially, and then over time will degenerate the rubber and the bond will come loose, leaving you with a gooey mess.

Check here for a source.

If your table top working area is recessed, with a raised border edge, you may also want to think about automotive headliner material. It is backed with 1/4" foam. It looks lousy with the cut edge exposed, but hidden by a raised border would be nice. According to your design, the rear edge may be your problem area. It appears that a material such as headliner would need to wrap under at the rear edge. Neoprene would be a nice material to use in this case. The cut edge can be made to look very clean.

Other options are biliard felt, leather, and velvet. I have also use as a padding under the fabric, sheets of cotton batting. A couple layers give enough springiness to make it easier to handle cards and coins, but the surface is not too springy.

BTW, your table design and size look good.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Thanks Michael... I will go and look for some of those materials today!
Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Ok... so I have decided to use a material other than the neoprene simply becasuse it is to hard to find and expencive to ship. so what I need to know is how to put the fabric onto the table. for example would I start off with a layer of 1/4 wood then ontop out cotton backing and then the fabric, then wrap the edges of the fabric around to wood and staple it? Also I changed my design so no sides are showing but the table is still edged around the sides and fron and but is flat on the back.

As you can see the front ( preformers veiw ) has a raised edge but not as high as to make an edge over the faberic, just a smooth ttransition.

Sound good?
Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Ok thanks for the help guys .. I have decided to take the easy route and buy a close up pad and fit the table top around it... Thanks again!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That'll work, too!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Close up mat material (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL