The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Chalet Table Base (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Have a Chalet "Gloves to Dove" base on it's way.

Am told the tray has screws in the bottom.

What flange and and legs fit this item?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Probably a 1'2" or 3/4", but you should wait until you get it. It may even fit with a Eureka base.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I got my Chalet gloves to dove tray last year and there are no screws on the tray which has caused some problems. I have a couple table bases from Tilfords and I am trying to decide how I am going to work it.......I do not want to screw into it so I am working on another method.

Take care,

Bryan
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@Bryan

I actually mispoke.

Mine coming has screw "holes," not screws.

So ours must be the same.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My advise is to be patient until it arrives. Next go to Home Depot or Lowes to see what parts can fit. At times I brought my props with me in the store to find what fits best or can be adjusted.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Karol,

I ordered a doves to bunny from Chalet, put a huge deposit, and it has been on the way since September 2006.

Its been over 8 months.

G0THIKE
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ok guys, here is how to adapt a Eureka base. Get a conduit connector in the electrical department. It should screw into a 1/2 or 3/4 floor flange. I forget which. If the connector is loose on the pipe, add a couple of layers of tape and tighten the screw.

The dove trays usually have a solid wooden piece in the middle of the bottom. You can attach the flange to that portion.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@Gothike

I found a used one
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That would explain why it has screw holes in the bottom. The original owner must have had it on a table base.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The real consideration for the flange is that the 1/2" water pipe flange requires very large flat head screws. However, the wood in the bottom of a Chalet tray is rather thin and the screw should not come out the other side.

I have several that I have used since the 70s and I am a big fan of Chalet props. However, this is a weakness in the design. DO NOT let anyone use the tray as a table top. With just a little leverage, the flange screws will pull out. Ultimately I put mine in coated with hot rosin for that reason. Getting them out will take King Kong!

Eureka table bases work well for this prop. Yet they are so stable that the flange pulls loose before the table falls over from a load. In the 70s and 80s I used an electronic Chalet Gloves to Dove to change a can of Banquet beer into a can of Light beer. The weight of a six-pack set on a corner was enough to pull the screws from the wood.

After thirty something years, I'm still gun-shy and carry extra flanges and extra wood screws in my case of Chalet trays. Fortunately, once I really set the screws in hot rosin, the problem has not returned. The first four times were devastating.

Chalet props are tough road-worthy professional props. I certainly cannot say the same about the copies I have tried.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Karol, it does not come with holes either.

Take care,

Bryan
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The holes in Kool's tray were probably made by the original owner from a table flange.
Where the magic begins
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Sounds the bottom of the Chalet tray could use some reinforcing before attaching a flange to it?

Where is Chance when you need him Smile

He'd know what to do (or perhaps he'd recommend that 'hot rosin' stuff also, which I now have to go Google to understand it).
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Chalet Table Base (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL