The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do I practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David O
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of David O
I have my first kid's show in a few weeks, and I have my material, but I need to know if there is a way to practice beforehand. These things are probably much different when actually performing. Can anybody give me a tip for how to practice?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
David, practice is probably the easiest part of doing a show. You need to just do each effect as you would perform it. Then do it again and again and again. You want to make sure you do it the same way every time. Once you have the first effect perfected, do the same with the next and so on. You need to set up your table with whatever props you are going use and make sure they are in the same place every time. You want to be able to pick each effect, perform it and put it away basically without looking for it. If you are going to use audience participation, it's difficult to plan their reaction but if you know the effect inside and out, that won't be a problem. Once you know each effect perfectly, do your entire act over and over again. If you have a video camera, tape your act and watch it to see how it looks. This is invaluable no matter what type of act you are performing.

When you get to your show, just think of it as another practice session.
Where the magic begins
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
You have no doubt practiced each effect separately and hopefully worked out a good script for each trick. Now practice the whole show from beginning to end either alone, to a friend or if you have one...to a video camera.

The variables are many in actual performance, but you can get a feel for timing the whole show. You will learn much from the first show (and every show you do) and if you go over each show afterwards...what went right and what went wrong, what effects work and which don't you will progress with each show.

Be yourself, don't work too fast, keep your eyes on the audience and know your material so you can concentrate on the presentation.

Let us know how it goes.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Are you asking about practice or rehearsal?

Practice, mentioned above is fairly easy. Do the moves, the blocking, etc in front of a video camera. Watch it, correct mistakes (flashing, bad blocking, etc.)

Rehearsing is harder. When you are putting up a theatre show a director acts as a third set of eyes. He/She sees what the audience is going to see and then shapes the performance. When you do interactive theatre (like magic) the interaction is a large part of the show. This is difficult to rehearse without an audience. You have a few options.

1. Have your wife/girlfriend/or close magic buddy play the part of the child in the act. And really do the show with her/him in the volenteers role. My wife is also a children's entertainer so she will literally act like a child and do the things a child would do during an effect. If I'm not clear in my direction she will do what a child would do (the "wrong thing") or if I'm not keeping it interesting she'll start playing with the props etc.

2. Practice on your families kids, neighbor's kids, or your own kids. This is easy enough if you have access to children.

3. Use a chair. This one takes the most skill. Video tape yourself useing a chair to stand in for the child but you have to treat the chair as if it were really a child. This works for some things. BUT YOU MUST treat the chair as if it were a real child.

Read some acting books. I highly recommend True and False by David Mamet, The Stanislavski System by Sonia Moore, and Impro by Keith Johnstone.

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
David
First put in the time getting down the mechanics of a routine, which in the case of the Dennis Loomis knot routine I walked around the house with a piece of rope in my hand for about three months, I then needed to do it in front of live audiences in order to get comfortable with the performance aspect, which is a whole nuther animal. I bought the routine in October, and I am satisfied with how I do it now in April.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Replay your routine in your mind's eye many times concurrently with your physical practice. Everytime you visualize your performance, you see it coming out perfectly. Envision the reaction and reception you'll be receiving with each effect. Hear, touch, and feel.

Practice and visualize every aspect of your show, not only the mechanics of the tricks, but also where your props will be and how you'll put the object away.

Also try to imagine what could go wrong and at which point of your show. Come up with some solutions ahead of time with how you'll handle the situation. Be flexible. Don't forget to time your practice shows.
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Have friends or family act as children to watch your show. No matter what happens, act as if you are really doing the show for the kids. If you mess up, someone is heckling, or anything else, cntinue to perform as if they were the children. do your whole show, that helps me a lot.
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
When I bring a new routine into the act I work it for the first couple of times in the simplest and shortest way possible.
Then when I'm used to it I add the extra bits and phases one at a time.

Don't try and work a complex routine, watch the children, and think about the patter at the same time.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Gene Anderson makes an important distinction between "hot" practice and "cold" practice in his lecture: "The Part Time Pro."

Dai Vernon said that if you don't really like to practice, you better find another hobby.

Doug Henning said that most magicians don't practice long enough on a new move or routine. First, you must learn to do it. Then you must learn to do it easilly. Then you must learn to do it habitually. And finally, you must make it beautiful.

Charlie Miller estimated that a minimum of 5000 repetitions is needed to master most sleights.

Richard Turner is said to have dealt over ten million second deals in his life. (So far!)

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
And I have practiced the Dennis Loomis Knot Routine joyfully countless times and will continue to do so!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Mike Williamson
View Profile
New user
LA
13 Posts

Profile of Mike Williamson
David O, so how was your show, man?
We never heard back from you!
Now I KNOW you're all saying to yo selves, this boy failed. I'm betting my bowl of gumbo this mornin' that he flopped like a catfish out of the murk.
telling him all this ideas of how to practice...like he had the time or experience!
He's asking "is there any way to practice beforehand"...if he's asking this kind of a question...I think Magic is in trouble!
I'm betting he died in a puddle of his own sweat...but I'd love to be wrong...
Gumbo Daddy
"Dube or not Dube, that is the question..."
David O
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of David O
Quote:
On 2007-04-30 10:59, Mike Williamson wrote:
David O, so how was your show, man?
We never heard back from you!
Now I KNOW you're all saying to yo selves, this boy failed. I'm betting my bowl of gumbo this mornin' that he flopped like a catfish out of the murk.
telling him all this ideas of how to practice...like he had the time or experience!
He's asking "is there any way to practice beforehand"...if he's asking this kind of a question...I think Magic is in trouble!
I'm betting he died in a puddle of his own sweat...but I'd love to be wrong...
Gumbo Daddy

Actually, it was too bad. I was ready for my show. I had my routine, and all I needed to do was to see if the kids liked it as much as I thought they would. The show was going to happen tonight.

Too bad a few days ago I called the person in charge of the show (at a cub scouts meeting) and they never responded. They didn't give any information, but if they want me, they'll have another meeting in two weeks, and I'll be there then if they ever respond.

Also, on the 20, I'm actually doing a non-kid's magician street performing show at a festival. So that will hopefully turn out better than this.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of the key things practice does for me is give me a measure and sense of timing. (Folks would never believe it because they see me work and think things just happen. I am a very avid clock watcher in rehearsal.)

Since moving to the new ranch, Lucy and I have a real 1600 square foot rehearsal theater custom built for the purpose here at the ranch. It keeps work separate from home.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
David O,
There is a saying, “We perform the way we practice.” If your practice is consistent, systematic, intelligent and creative, then your performances have a good chance of reflecting those attributes. If your practice is sporadic, haphazard and unimaginative, your performance has a good chance of having those characteristics. Adopt good practice habits and you have a good chance of succeeding.

There is excellent advice on how to practice on this site at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......amp;1170

Regards,
Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do I practice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL