The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sources for Close-Up Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Carolini,
I don't really see your logic. Maybe you can post again and explain more.
Most magicians and mentalists use other's ideas in their work. That is why so many magic suppliers make it. I think most inventors hope their work will be presented with the buyer's own patter and style. That is what makes the majority of an effect, the performance and presentation.
I am not disagreeing with you, but I just don't get why you support Corinda as a source but not others. You said we should go back and read Corinda and then end with "who wants to rely on others for our offerings to the paying public." It seems like you are saying two different things.
I also don't understand why you make it sound like a negative thing to rely on others for what we offer to the public. Not many of us have invented enough material to present that alone. That is why I pay for resources. It is quite common to hear inventors credit their sources of what ideas their effect is based upon. It would seem that studying other's material is the way we plant seeds in our head to invent new effects.
I don't want to start an argument I just don't understand your post. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant. Please feel free to clarify if I misunderstood. Thanks.

Best,
Paul
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
I've bought and sold dozens of books. There are two that will never leave my shelf.

Annemann's "Practical Mental Effects" and Corinda's "13 Steps to Mentalism".
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Roth,
I haven't read Annemann's, I will have to check it out. Thanks.

-Paul
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2007-04-27 13:42, CAROLINI wrote:
When was the last time that a question such as asked by Paul could not have been answered by reading Corinda? Why do we keep looking outside when all of the answers have always been inside? Has there ever been a time when a person has re-read Corinda and not discovered something that they didn't see before?What does this teach us? We are supposed to be mentalists which means we are thinkers. So why don't we think more instead of looking for what magicians always refer to as a self-working effect? In other words no talent is involved just copy what someone else has done. If you are a real performer that should not satisfy you. This is not intended for Paul alone but to anyone of us, and I include myself, who wants to rely on others for our offerings to the paying public.

I don´t want to say anything against Corinda, it is a great source. But that doesn´t mean that we can look towards other sources. Corinda is not everything.

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of nboisen
Roth: Are you saying that Corinda and Annemann never leave your shelf because:
A) You never take them down to look at them or
B) You never want to part with them?

I can read your post either way. So which is it: thumbs up or thumbs down. I would like to know your opinion. Thanks

Posted: Apr 29, 2007 1:33pm
Paul,

I don't want to speak for Cardini, but...

I suspect he is hinting at what I would have said, which is: Why ask for (or propose) stand alone effects (or the newest, single self-working item or the latest version of a classic) when simply studying and learning the foundamental techniques of mentalism (center tear, billets, PW, index, etc.) opens up an entire world of nearly limitless possibilities. Start with the classics -- they are called classics for a reason.

Corinda is not so much about effects as about learning the foundamental principles and techniques of mentalism. Once acquired, the sky is the limit. You can create your own material. You can adapt the insightful presentation angles of others to your own skill set and style of performance.

If you are simply looking to add one or two new effects to your repetoire and no more, then by all means shop around for the best of the newest single effect items. You will learn them and it will end there. In a few months you will be back here asking for more ideas.

Nothing against the tricks suggested here -- they are all great. But in additional to looking into those, why not consider looking into the classics? You may NOT find in Annemann or Corinda a ready-made new trick you can go out and do right away, but you will find a rich source of insights and ideas to stimulate your creative mind for years to come.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
This is a plug and I know the stuff is good becouse I use it.
My first DVD had a good deal of platform and stage work on it.

The new and final one with my own work on it 'Tea with Alice & Jack' has a good deal of close up mentalism/paranormal demonstrations on it.
(Also some of the other stuff but I use these things in both situations).

Any way the banner is at the top of this forum and looks like the invitation under my signature.

The stuff is good I used it last night.
The payout on the event was $600.00
For about fifty people durring cocktail hour.

-Jim

Click here to view attached image.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 13:06, nboisen wrote:
Roth: Are you saying that Corinda and Annemann never leave your shelf because:
A) You never take them down to look at them or
B) You never want to part with them?

I can read your post either way. So which is it: thumbs up or thumbs down.
I would like to know your opinion. Thanks

B) Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
geneurban
View Profile
New user
Santa Barbara, CA
21 Posts

Profile of geneurban
There are several closeup mentalism pieces in the Desert Brainstrom Series. Docc has a great design duplication that went over well with the studio audience. Regarding the Anneman, Corinda discussion... classics are classics for a reason.
tajkuri
View Profile
New user
Finland
41 Posts

Profile of tajkuri
Center Tear could work in close-up, well, some stack-based effects, or something with ESP-cards. There was a nice effect in ETMMM 3 or 4, I think it was called "Viewed ESP Prediction" or I mess it with some other effect. ETMMM has many great effects, and they are performed in parlour/close up situation.
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
Another great source for walk around mmentalism or close-up is Good luck from beijin by the prolific Richard Webster weerd this book is not mentioned very often.
burgerinc
View Profile
Regular user
Sin City
196 Posts

Profile of burgerinc
I don't think John Riggs should be overlooked. He has some of the best material closeup and platform.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Walk-around mentalism makes up the bulk of my performance experience. H&R Magic Books has published two books by me which are mostly on this topic: Inside Out and Unconventional. You can find reviews of these publications on the Café. Also, Alakazam Magic will soon be releasing my DVD on the same topic entitled “Outside the Conventional” later this year. Cheers.
Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Anyone konw when "tarothought" be available?
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Christopher's Unconventional and Inside Out are both wonderful books that I highly recommend.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
There is a lot of wonderful stuff in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy." Name/Place, The Monserrat/Cassidy Booktest, and The Pocket Watch Premonition are just a few examples. The Pocket Watch Premonition is a killer. I substitute a tin of mints, or sometimes an SA wallet, for the pocket watch, which isn't something I would carry with me normally.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I would like to post my opinion of Christopher's coin bend (From Inside Out)and if I ever were to use another guys coin bend I would use his presentation.

It is a killer piece of psychological theater in my opinion.

And is extreamly well thought out work.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Ooops! I goofed when I said that my upcoming close-up mentalism DVD is an Alakazam Magic production. It is actually an Inner Mind Productions release (Spelmann/Nardi) Sorry boys!.

Christopher

Quote:
On 2007-05-23 16:13, Jim-Callahan wrote:
I would like to post my opinion of Christopher's coin bend (From Inside Out)and if I ever were to use another guys coin bend I would use his presentation.

It is a killer piece of psychological theater in my opinion.

And is extremely well thought out work.

J ack

H.O.A-X

Jack: Thank you for the kind comments about my all time favorite effect. There is a detailed explanation of it on the above mentioned DVD, "Outside The Conventional". Cheers.
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sources for Close-Up Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL