The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek Wallet Help Wanted, Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
wordSMITH
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of wordSMITH
Wallets are not something that I have personally considered yet, so might I enquire as to the psychology of their use?

Why is it that a wallet must be taken out for the billet to be put in?

All in all, is it a method to cover an effect, or an effect built around a method?
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
It should be noted that he's getting the SAW and the BrainScan Wallet. The BrainScan is the one which will help him achieve his effect a lot cleaner than it is now. All in all, a great guy to help!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 08:51, MoritaNaoki wrote:
Wallets are not something that I have personally considered yet, so might I enquire as to the psychology of their use?

All in all, is it a method to cover an effect, or an effect built around a method?

I use my Outlaw for PWing 90% of the time. Nothing is more stunning to a spec than pulling out your card case, opening it up and removing a business card that has a prediction that exactly matches what they JUST told you Smile

RR
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Lunatik
I have the Saw now and I am well pleased with it
Thanks once more for the spot-on help
Cheers
TJ
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
@MoritaNaoki: If you are questioning that much, you should ask why things need to be written down in the first place.

But if you can look from the otherside...

To the layman my SAW is a natural neutral ground to place something written so no one can touch it, see it and no one can change their minds. And I do not touch it again once the billet is in it, and leave it in open view all the time... or that is what they perceive - because of how the routine works creating a time misdirection.

No one has ever questioned me on it because it looks so fair.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:

You are right, but if you can come up with a better way to read a billet, we'll
all buy it and you can make yourself bags of bucks:-)
But then somebody will say:
'It doesn't make sense to write stuff down. Just read their minds'
So it goes on BUT in the meantime, buy a SAW, they are brilliant
TJ
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi FW
Sorry for repeating your post
You must have beat me to the send button by a few seconds
But isn't it gratifying to see that truly GREAT minds think alike Smile
Let's get together on something else soon lol
TJ
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
RE: business card wallets

If you don't usually carry business cards then you probably have no need of a wallet

However if you perform business card effects then you need something to carry your business cards in! If it doesn't seem odd for you to be carrying business cards then it won't seem odd for you to carry a business card holder.

Even if I could read people's minds, I'd still get them to write it down. I don't trust people enough not to change their minds after my prediction.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Roth, I thought The Outlaw was discontinued. Replaced by The Panther. I have both. I like The Panther the best.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 05:58, teejay wrote:
Quote:

You are right, but if you can come up with a better way to read a billet, we'll
all buy it and you can make yourself bags of bucks:-)
But then somebody will say:
'It doesn't make sense to write stuff down. Just read their minds'
So it goes on BUT in the meantime, buy a SAW, they are brilliant
TJ

There are better ways of reading a billet that don't require 'putting it into a wallet'. Lots of them. They have made the creators lots of money in some cases. I will mention Alain Bellon's Obsidion Oblique, Richard Busch's 'Busch Billet', and Millard Longman's Acidus Novus.
If you combine bits of each of these you will get something even better...and NO need for a wallet or a tear.

Justification for writing it down is simple - it's so the partcipant doesn't lie to make you look bad/good. Putting it in a wallet? Unjustifiable (In my view), even with any of the 'symbolic of locking the thought in your mind' BS. Roth improved on this massively with the Arcanum card, but putting it in a wallet is still a weird thing to do. If you don't need to hold it in your hands, why can't they just keep hold of it? Especially if they have written on one of your business cards?

Worth thinking about. Don't justify, find better techniques. They DO exist.

P.S you can peek the SAW using the standard Assassin window without re-opening it. If you want to know how send me a PM.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
If you're like most of us you'll end up buying virtually every peek wallet device available in search of the Holy Grail. I probably use the Outlaw most because of the large peek area and casual handling without having to re-open the wallet, but have also enjoyed Evil Dan's PJ wallet that combines the SUC concept paired with the Caper Case system(very useful).

And lastly, the Stealth Assassin is an all-around super practical mentalism on wheels tour de force for nights when you're performing 'more than one'...

-Jared
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-06-06 09:02, psychicturtle wrote:
There are better ways of reading a billet that don't require 'putting it into a wallet'. Lots of them. They have made the creators lots of money in some cases. I will mention Alain Bellon's Obsidion Oblique, Richard Busch's 'Busch Billet', and Millard Longman's Acidus Novus.
If you combine bits of each of these you will get something even better...and NO need for a wallet or a tear.
Justification for writing it down is simple - it's so the partcipant doesn't lie to make you look bad/good. Putting it in a wallet? Unjustifiable (In my view), even with any of the 'symbolic of locking the thought in your mind' BS. Roth improved on this massively with the Arcanum card, but putting it in a wallet is still a weird thing to do. If you don't need to hold it in your hands, why can't they just keep hold of it? Especially if they have written on one of your business cards?
Worth thinking about. Don't justify, find better techniques. They DO exist.
P.S you can peek the SAW using the standard Assassin window without re-opening it. If you want to know how send me a PM.

Hi P
You are right of course
None of these methods are perfect. There are trade offs to be made. People use the one that feels best to them. IMHO this isn't a good idea. I like to consider what the
spec sees. It is easy to do an effect perfectly but the spec can unpick it later
I have had them say:
You must have looked when you were tearing it
Full Billet Peeks make a noise when you are opening them
OO etc call for weird rules on word placement
I have decided on the SAW for now and I have routined layers of camouflage into doing it. It is so easy to use. I will PM you
:)
TJ
psi-co
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa
134 Posts

Profile of psi-co
When I included a peek wallet in the third phase of my Creating Impact routine it was for the exact reason now being discussed: How to justify using a peek wallet and placing a business card or billet back into the wallet.

Of course you never need to use a peek wallet unless you want to, but the ebook explores the structure of a routine in such a way that using a peek wallet becomes invisible.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
THE Outlaw-Wallet is actually a case for business cards. In no way does it resemble the usual conception of a wallet. This adds some class to it's use.
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
Does the Outlaw wallet employ the SUC principle (like the Stealth Assassin), or is it a completely different idea?
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
Dithe outlaw is a different idea than the suc idea
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Wow, all this mind boggling, I have a jaks styled wallet that I have been using for several years, I do not even know where I first saw it described but it has never failed me in it's use. It has a peek area that can't be missed, cost me about $5 and I use handling methods tipped by marc strivings, doc Hilford & alan strydom. I really think so much of it is running when you are not being chased.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Outlaw's "Widowmaker" employs a version of the SUC (which, IMHO, is superior, in that it holds the card tighter). The original Outlaw does not employ an SUC gaff, but instead, allows for a peek of the entire card (whereas an SUC is 1/2-3/4 of a card).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek Wallet Help Wanted, Please (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL