The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bisection Unlimited DVD Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Hey folks,

Just got this in the mail. I have owned Andrew Maynes Bisection booklet for quite some time and have been a big fan of it. Watching Cyril perform the illusion even sparked my interest more.

The DVD covers everything that the booklet did and MORE. There are many fine points and extra additions that Andrew covers in detail when making the gimmick. These fixes to the original version make the gimmick much easier to make and easier to use.

He shows several ways of performing the illusion including one surrounded. The DVD is high quality and I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great illusion to add into their act. Even if you own the original manusrcipt I still suggest you pick this up. Good price too.

Thanks
Jon
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I agree Majestic 12. I liked the additions and it helped to see him actually make it. As a Christian therapist and magician, I thought I could add it to my public speaking gigs about lust and how as men we only think with one part of our body...
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Haha, MagicBrent, that's such a good idea. smart thinking. (I guess you used the half you'll vanish with Bisection for that, haha)
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Of course! (wink)
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
In my opinion the DVD is much more useful than the original booklet
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 13:00, MopKrayz wrote:
In my opinion the DVD is much more useful than the original booklet

I think so also. Andrew shows a better way to build the gimmick plus much more.
andrewmayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
142 Posts

Profile of andrewmayne
"In my opinion the DVD is much more useful than the original booklet"

I heartily agree. I'm going to try to do all new plans in DVD form from now on.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I just got a chance to see the ads for it. I will try to order one and write my review hopefully soon. Things are tight right now. Saying that if the DVD is anything like the booklet and if what Majestic12 said holds water, then we will have another Mayne winner....Oh yeah and a pretty freaking sweet inexpensive one man illuision that will kill anyone that sees it.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I just received this and I think it's a great effect. I originally saw this a couple of years ago (in the well-known clip of Cyril performing it).
Just an observation and I'm curious as to your thoughts, Andrew.
There is, in fact, a 2nd effect born out of the discrepancy necessary to accomplish the initial one. Of course, you don't want the audience to percieve this to be so. That is, this discrepant "effect" should not enter their minds, the same way the discrepancy inherent in a flushtration count should remain psychologically invisible.

So, what is this effect I speak of? Why, it's the floating cloth. See, at the start of the trick, the performer is holding the cloth up with his/her hands. Then, the top half of same said performer's body vanishes.. to which the aforementioned arms are attached. Sooo... what's holding up the cloth? Smile

That said, I love this trick. I believe, as I'm sure Andrew will confirm by way of the volume of his experience performing this, that it's a non-issue. It sails right past the audience, just as it should, because the focus is on the vanish. By the time they've really processed what they've seen, it's all over.
It's all in the reflexes.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 21:37, meauxfeaux wrote:
I just received this and I think it's a great effect. I originally saw this a couple of years ago (in the well-known clip of Cyril performing it).
Just an observation and I'm curious as to your thoughts, Andrew.
There is, in fact, a 2nd effect born out of the discrepancy necessary to accomplish the initial one. Of course, you don't want the audience to percieve this to be so. That is, this discrepant "effect" should not enter their minds, the same way the discrepancy inherent in a flushtration count should remain psychologically invisible.

So, what is this effect I speak of? Why, it's the floating cloth. See, at the start of the trick, the performer is holding the cloth up with his/her hands. Then, the top half of same said performer's body vanishes.. to which the aforementioned arms are attached. Sooo... what's holding up the cloth? Smile

That said, I love this trick. I believe, as I'm sure Andrew will confirm by way of the volume of his experience performing this, that it's a non-issue. It sails right past the audience, just as it should, because the focus is on the vanish. By the time they've really processed what they've seen, it's all over.

He's grabbing it with the part that Magicbrent lectures about.
James
ps
I have this DVD too and it is great. I'll buy all the others too andrew, I love all your work.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Swifty34
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Swifty34
Quote:
He's grabbing it with the part that Magicbrent lectures about.

LOL!
andrewmayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
142 Posts

Profile of andrewmayne
"So, what is this effect I speak of? Why, it's the floating cloth."

There's no discrepancy in my mind. I always imagined that the top half of your body is invisible and that your invisible arms are holding the cloth (in all the art work for the effect I've shown a kind of ghost body still there holding the cloth). Lay people and kids get it. Magicians tend to overthink it.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
That's how I always seen it.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I like that, Andrew.
I was waiting to hear your response.

And, as I said, I love the effect. Always did.
It's all in the reflexes.
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I purchased the DVD after having the book as well and I've performed this effect tons of times for years. Great job, Andrew on the DVD. You have another winner with all the additional tips, even for those of us who bought the book origianlly. Your additions are worth buying both. The book and the DVD also show slightly different methods of making the illusion. I've combined tips from the DVD to the illusion I built from the book.

The floating cloth is a non-issue as long as you hold the cloth from behind. If you hold the cloth with your fingers showing over the top, it may look a bit strange. I agree that the audience accepts that it is your "invisible" hands that are holding up the cloth. You are invisible, not a ghost. So you should be able to hold things.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Still waiting for hank lee for mine. I think this is the last time I order from them. 3rd time in arow they have said they have somthing they don;t have
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 20:33, andrewmayne wrote:
"In my opinion the DVD is much more useful than the original booklet"

I heartily agree. I'm going to try to do all new plans in DVD form from now on.

Andrew, I have bought several of your things in the past few weeks either direct from you or second hand from Ebay etc, and I must say I LOVE most of what I've seen. Keep up the good work!

On to my point in posting.... I think that offering the plans on DVD with a manuscript included for a small additional fee would be ideal, at least to me. I think it would be nice to watch the DVD to get the idea, but be able to refer to the manuscript while I'm working at the table rather than having to get up and go to the TV and find the part of the DVD I want to review.

Of course YOU are always welcome to come to my house for a build out if you like :wink: Smile
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 05:03, andrewmayne wrote:
"So, what is this effect I speak of? Why, it's the floating cloth."

There's no discrepancy in my mind. I always imagined that the top half of your body is invisible and that your invisible arms are holding the cloth (in all the art work for the effect I've shown a kind of ghost body still there holding the cloth). Lay people and kids get it. Magicians tend to overthink it.

I never noticed this "discrepency" until I was discussing this effect with a friend who also purchased it recently. I didn't see it as an issue because the spectator doesn't truly know if you've vanished your body, or just gone invisible. For the latter, it would make sense that they wouldn't be able to see the arms.

I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Is there a link of Cyril performing Bisection anywhere on the web?

Andrew
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Any suggestions on how to do this-- put a rose in your mouth, then you vanish but the rose is still there in the air (because you are now invisible) then bring up the cloth and when you drop your are again visible with the rose still in your mouth.Any way to do this without a complicated stage set-up?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bisection Unlimited DVD Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL