The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Metal Card Guard / Airport Security (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chteo
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of chteo
Hi

I was wondering if my metal card guard (the cheap silver one) would be allowed onboard the plane.

The card guard looks kinda sharp and it might be seen as a possible weapon.

I know this might sound stupid, but with the high levels of security nowadays, anything is possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences to share?

(Walking past detectors, explaining to officers, inspection of baggage etc etc)
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Just put a deck of cards in it if you want it in your carry on... then you will be able to explain what its for.

Your best bet is to just put in in your checked luggage, it will get through hopefully.

Just be nice to the security people, it makes a huge difference!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I have flown many times with a deck of cards in a Porper clip. The Porper isn't exactly the same as the silver ones, but in the eyes of airport people, they're probably the same. I just throw the deck into my carry-on and send it through the x-ray machine. I've not once been questioned or hassled about it.
Kevin Reylek
Rocco Silvertone
View Profile
New user
Tampa Bay Florida
13 Posts

Profile of Rocco Silvertone
I've carried mine thru with deck in it; just have to take it out to put in the basket with all the other metal objects you've got; keys, coins etc. Not a problem.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I have the Stainless type and that will set off an alarm. The cheaper ones are aluminum and shouldn't set alarms off. Keep your cards in them and if some one asks explain its purpose. The Airlines are anal but I don't think they will take your card guard.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
simquad
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of simquad
Hey! might be grounds for showing off your magic skills!
demente42
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
199 Posts

Profile of demente42
Jerry O'Connell of London makes a nice leather card case should make it through airport security and it is lighter than the metal card guards so doesn't weigh down your pocket as much.
Brandon Smith

Imagine The Impossible
www.MagicForAnyOccasion.com

Creator of Dough or No Dough & Show Me the Bunny.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Never had a problem. Airport security have their own important job to do, but within that they are usually pretty reasonable about this kind of thing.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think that depends on the airport. Some the security is smarter than others and nicer than others. One I end up going to and from seem to take great pride in holding up people, being rude, and questioning the obvious.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Once I got thru security with colour changing pen knives. I didn't reaise I had them, and when I got to my destination I discovered them and was appauled no one told me!
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
I love going to the airport with my shiny silver case! I always get looks and you know what they are all thinking...What the hell does he have in that case!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
It's funney, I have an implanted defibulator in my chest and have to carry an ID card with the model number and serial number and all that stuff. Well on the ID card it states that the difibulator will set off secrity devices and to pat me down because the wands they use are magnetic and may fire off the device.

Yep at courtrooms, no problem, at airports They try to wand me and get very upset when I point out the place that says NO MAGNETS. Once they even took me into the little room until the boss came in and he could read English.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
Last time I was in the airport I had trans-mental in my carry on bag. They pulled me aside, asked questions about my bag, and then looked at the trans-mental trick. They gave me a funny look and I thought they were going to throw it out. But they just let me pass when I told them it was a magic trick, never again will I carry that on a plane.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ever so often, there are people who will put a lump of modeling clay, a set of wires with alligator clips and a kitchen timer in their carry on. They have it arranged in their bag to look like, well, you know what.

When they get stopped, there is NOTHING that can be done about it. It is not illegal to carry modeling clay, a kitchen timer or wire with alligator clips onto an airplane.

So, what are you going to do with Trans-mental? Pick somebody's nose with a brass rod? A ballpoint pen is a dangerous weapon, if you know where to stick it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My wife Lucy is a physician. In LAX they take her bottle opener away but let her keep her scalpels. Aren't we safer?

(I'm a lobbyist. Since I was raised as a cowboy, I'm more likely to be without underwear than a knife. When I go through security to the House or Senate, they have a dish they save my knife in and assign someone to return it to me when I leave. What a wonderful investment of your money!)

I'm sure more people have been killed over cards than a card clip. In Alabama, I don't know what elected official lost the farm in a card game but there is a $.10/deck tax on cards!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
I travel with trans-mental quite often. I make a point of leaving it in my checked bag. I have forgotten, once or twice, and ended up with it in my carry on. I just put it in the little tray with my keys and blackberry. No problems at all.
Having said this, I hope I haven't jinxed myself!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Metal Card Guard / Airport Security (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL