The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tales of Magical Characters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Eddie, a similar event occured in my adolescence, and, although much more lowkey, gave me an indelible glimpse of human nature and the manipulability of group dynamics when it comes to the secular and the divine.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
If you want to find out about Christian attitudes to sex, then you need look no further than the Bible. Few women, if any, play a positive role in the Bible - mostly they are classed as property or ***s. In fact, few women have any role in the Bible unless it has something to do with sex.

We have learnt that it is fine to offer your daughters to gangs of rapists if it saves your guests from being raped.

We have learnt that it is fine to lie to rapists with claims that your daughters are virgins (to make them more appealing) to save
your guests from being raped.

We have learnt that you can be a liar, a drunk, offer your daughters to gangs of rapist, commit incest, and still be classed as righteous in the eyes of the Christian/Abrahamic God.

We have learnt that it is fine for parents to dictate who their sons should have sex with.

We have learnt that women appear to have little say on who they have sex with.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Evolve629, it's wonderful, isn't it? The Bible is the source of our social mores and even our laws.

I find it interesting, to say the least, that the "Big Three" religions are all based on the credulity of tribal peoples so primitive that they didn't even know the origin of rainfall. Yahweh was a rain god.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Rarely have I seen a thread with such unanimity of opinion and such friendly agreement amongst such diverse people.

Would that the believers were able to come to such agreement amongst themselves.

But then again, if any notice this, we'll have given them something to unite on, albeit briefly.

In the meantime I've found it educational, inspirational and very ******* funny.

Destiny
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
But those of us who don't hold a belief in ANY of it are still outcasts...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Destiny, we are united in our diversity!

Chris, just thank God you are an atheist!

All of it, belief as well as unbelief, should be taken with a grain of salt, anyway.

"If you should meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!"

"Once you have seen the moon, what need have you for the pointing finger?"

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
Can I have an amen brother Bill, or is that an Ammon. I hold hope for humanity in the fact that at least some of us have seen the light.
I still believe the only hope for humanity is in women. Once the world is run by a maternalistic government system, things might change.
Another step forward would be for the government to have a department of peace with a budget twice the size of the department of war, but hope springs eternal.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Handa,

I am intrigued and preoccupied by 'outcastdom'.

Perhaps because no matter what group I've been with, even as a kid, I've always felt the outsider.

But are we the few, or the many?

I long ago decided most self declared silent majorities are actually noisy, self centred minorities.

Perhaps groups of supposedly like minded people are actually composed entirely of individuals who all feel like outsiders but desperately hope to belong.

As with our religious brethren - how to know how many desperately pretend to believe, desperately want to believe, even need to believe, but actually offer false testimony, sing empty praises and holler hollow Hallelujahs?

What if it's all of them, each thinking themself the only one?

Bill, it is always so good to hear from you, O Turbanned One - that avatar is beautiful!

egregor,
Departments of Foreign Affairs (or State, if you will) are sold to us silly voters as Departments of Peace, in theory. In practice, they are more often the PR branch of the Department of War. So much common sense in your few sentences.

Destiny
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2007-05-12 03:37, plasticdestiny wrote:
Handa,

I am intrigued and preoccupied by 'outcastdom'.

Perhaps because no matter what group I've been with, even as a kid, I've always felt the outsider.

But are we the few, or the many?

I long ago decided most self declared silent majorities are actually noisy, self centred minorities.

Perhaps groups of supposedly like minded people are actually composed entirely of individuals who all feel like outsiders but desperately hope to belong.

Probably all of us here feel like outsiders.

Quote:
As with our religious brethren - how to know how many desperately pretend to believe, desperately want to believe, even need to believe, but actually offer false testimony, sing empty praises and holler hollow Hallelujahs?

What if it's all of them, each thinking themself the only one?

Yes, Destiny, probably most of them are desperately trying to believe, which is what makes them so insistent and obnoxious. As the little boy said in Sunday School, "Faith is believin' what you know ain't so."

Bill
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Egregor, I am inclined to agree that things would be much better in a maternalistic society. I do believe things should be run by women (except for my wife, of course!).

Bill
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
I went to a card competition yesterday. Terribly difficult finger flicking everywhere, but I often felt we were watching something akin to the Olympics or some State Circus or the other, and comparing skilll levels as opposed to being entertained. The audience were the judges and filled in a form with two categories 'Entertainment' and 'Magical Skill'. Afterwards I commented that, to the general public (all present were prestigitators), 'Entertainment' would be the only category that mattered. This mostly fell on deaf ears and reminded me why I (and we) are outsiders to many in this field; although the top bananas of magic have all made this statement at one time or another.

Ian
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Terribly difficult finger flicking becomes an end in itself. That's great if you enjoy that, but don't call it "entertainment!"

Bill
spidey_ak
View Profile
Regular user
Alaska
120 Posts

Profile of spidey_ak
I don't really like disparaging anybody's beliefs; however, I don't really like Christianity, especially as a Native Alaskan descendent. I was converted to, and considered myself for a long time, born-again Christianity. Until I started thinking outside what the priests, pastors, preachers taught on Sunday.

Somebody brought up how Lot had sent his daughters out to be raped... I don't want to nit-pick, but it wasn't a "simple" rape, but a brutal gang rape. The sad thing is that what Lot offered to do for the brutal gang is not a single instance in the Bible, for example:

Code:
"Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." (Judges 19:24-25)

After this heinous & horrific act, sanctioned by the girl's owner, she crawled to the door step & was moaning. The guy walked over her, yelled at her to get up... as she died.

A great link to some information is the Dark Bible. Interesting read.

Again, I don't belittle anybody's faith, I just think that if you believe something, you should have an understanding of what that faith implies.
spidey_ak
View Profile
Regular user
Alaska
120 Posts

Profile of spidey_ak
Double post, sorry, not sure why it did that.
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
I remember my little sister asking a preacher one time who the two chinese men were, that were mentioned more than god in the bible, he said " what chinese men"
she said "Lo and Behold".
Absolutely true.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
That Dark Bible is a great reference. I personally prefer the gospels of Mary, Thomas and Judas Iscariot and find them most enlightening to read.

Egregore,
That's priceless!

-Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Oh do not tell the priest our plight,
For he would call it sin,
For we have been in the woods all night,
A conjuring summer in,
I bring good news by word of mouth,
Good news for cattle and corn,
For now the sun is come out of the south,
With oak and ash and thorn.

--R. Kipling
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Have you read any of the momentous works by Victor H. Anderson?
Freight of magical characters by the payload!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tales of Magical Characters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL