The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Handing out Gifts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I hope this is the right place to ask this. It's not exactly about a stage illusion, but it has something to do with the presentation of one.

I won't give details on the entire act, but here's the issue I'm trying to work out. While the audience is being seated and waiting for the stage show to begin, all the kids who enter the door will be handed something. Later in my act, I'll be bringing all the kids in the room up to the stage to participate in a sort of game. Don't worry, though, the "game" will only last for a few minutes. I understand the dangers of how things like this can take too long, but that's not really the issue right now.

Now, I tell them that those who accomplish the point of the "game" will win a prize. But, of course, "Everyone is a winner, so you all get a prize."

After saying this, I want to be able to give all the kids a prize before they head back to their seats. Just little toy things, such as small party supplies (from a novelty store).

Anyone now do or have seen anyone do this on a full size stage? What I'm thinking is I'll have a couple of people (such as stage hands) hold a box, and the kids just grab something from the box on the way back.

I can see how this kind of thing could be "asking for trouble", but it would really work well with this act. I'm just trying to decide the best way to go about it that'll make it all go smoothly. If you have any suggestions or comments, I'd love to read them.

Thanks.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Hi Ron, I would consider moving your question here for best advice on this one, I can't imagine there could be any trouble, sounds like a well thought out plan.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......mp;63951

Regards,

Jason.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Here is a random thought. Whatever you decide to hand out, make sure they are all the same. Same toy, same size, same color, etc. If they are not identical, you will have kids up there trying to get that one particular toy they like forever, and some little ones will head back crying. Also, be prepared for the one child whose toy doesn't make it through the evening. If there is a way for the parent to come backstage, go to the BOR table, or see you after the show...they will ask for a replacement.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Jason: Good thinking. I didn't even think about the Little Darlings sections.

MikeDes: Hey, that's good thinking too. Thanks for that. I can see what you mean about the kids taking their time selecting which ones they like. And from back when I use to do balloon animals (Don't ask me to do them anymore... LOL), I know what you mean about asking for replacements.

You also gave me another thought. I might as well personalize the gifts. Maybe something to do with the rest of my act with my name on it. Nothing wrong with a little extra advertising.

On that matter, I could make it something useful. I use to have the ASL alphabet on the back of my business cards. When I handed them out, it was common for me to see a few people huddled together learning and showing each other how to finger spell their name. Maybe my "gift" can be something like a keychain or something. One side has a mini poster of me, and the other side has the ASL.

Hmm...

Thanks,

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jimmagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Jimmagic
You might like to include your business card in your "gift". I do that for my show, and it really works.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Another thought is to have someone actually hand the items to the children as they leave the stage. This would eliminate the time wasted while the children fumble around in the container thinking there might really be something different for them.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
If it’s more than one item, assorted items, or you want to include your card, have everything bagged up. Bags could be handed out quickly. You could also print labels to go on the bags. Those handing out the bags could instruct the kids to open them after the show.

By making it a “Mystery Bag,” it wouldn’t hurt if all the gifts weren’t the same, and the kids would look forward to receiving another one at a later show. Think white bag with a label, stapled at the top.

Tom
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Jaxon,

I use "give-aways" often, never a business card.

At one time I used sponge balls, now I use 10" magic wands. Oh yes, they have my name, phone, and website address printed on them.

Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Handing out Gifts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL