The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tricky Table Top (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
Hi,
I was wondering about the tricky table top as seen here: http://www.magictricks.com/accessories/trickytop.htm
I would like to build my own table just like this but I want it a little bigger.

I was just wondering how the spring door works?

If anyone knows how this works PM me or post it here.
Or please PM me if anyone has any different ideas on how to vanish things into the top of the table.

Thanks
-Martin-
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
Years ago when I built that table top (almost exact) I used hinges (naturally) and used rubber bands across the center of traps with a smal "a" frame to put tension on trap.
a lite push and the item vanishes.

I also made one with a motor and push switch..cover a glass with a hank (push button) and raise glass ala disc in hank...and vanish.

you don't need a tricky top to vanish small things..knot from cut and restored...dck of cards....small hand held props.

this could easily done with a drop on the back of table.
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
You might look at the Mark Wilson design with the black art well in the top.

Its super-cheap to build. A halfsheet of plywood, a few hinges, and some scrap wood is all that's needed.

You don't need to be a carpenter to build it. Have the guy at Home Depot cut the pieces to size for a few dollars.

I'm building mine with a small servante at the back, and enlarging the well and making it deeper than the plans call for.

It shouldn't take more than a few hours to build.

You will find this in his "Cyclopedia" and his "C1ourse".

Both these books are good values as there are loads of usable material in there.

I paid less than $10 at Borders for the "Cyclopedia".

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I have built one of the well tables, and the most difficult part was keeping the velvet edges from shedding...enter Eileen's Tacky glue, and some wax paper, until dry!
They do work well (ha ha!) and if you do the little trim dressing on top, they are pretty much angle proof in most performances. I even have a triangle shelf under my little table for extra stuff, along with the servante at the rear.
I did find that using a couple of eye screws (the ones with the loop for a head) and a mini bungee work well to hold thing together when set up, bungee a eye screw from the middle of the hinge board inside-up to the middle front of the top underside! Good paint, Good fringe, Good velvet, maybe $20 tops to make. (Yess you can buy nly a foot or two of velvet, at the fabric store. Still not sure? try it in heavy cardboard with felt first! Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tricky Table Top (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL