The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Question About Finish On Metal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I just purchased a six inch long rail-road spike for an illusion I'm preparing.

However, only one of the sides is finished and polished.

I plan on turning that side towards the audience, but in the long term is there a way to polish and shine the other sides to the same finish?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
What is it made of? I have never seen a railroad spike with any kind of finish except rust. If it is a novelty item it might not be made of the same iron/steel of a regulation spike.

If it is iron or steel you can polish it up with a wire wheel, depending on the pitting of the surface you might need to use a flexible disc grinder. If you know a welder, take it to him, he already has the tools.

Once you have it cleaned up you can plate it with nickle or chrome to keep from rusting.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You should be able to find a new railroad spike with no rust fairly easily. If you have a railroad division office near you, just give them a call and ask for the maintenance department. They will probably be willing to give you several. It's really not worth all the buffing.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yes, you can use wire brush to take off most heavy stuff then you need buffing wheels and polish, there are many types of metal polish out there for everything from gold and silver to stainless steel. But you will find that you will probably have to repolish often. Spraying with a clear laquer will help keep the finish for a while, but ultimately handling will start to dull finish and corrosion and rust will set back in if it is not polished again regularly. If the nail already has a coating like zinc on it, polishing will remove that. You can get nail polished well and see a local plater and see if they can chrome or nickle plate it for you which should give you a long lasting nice finish.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
http://www.cymba.com/s001.jpg

Here's what I have.

It's not inscribed, nor has it been milled for the opener.

However, the manufacturer orders them already polished on the side to be inscribed.

I'm looking for a way to make all sides match.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
It looks like you wll be spending a good deal of time with a belt sander. That would be the way I would approach the problem. Once cleaned up I would plate it using one of the kits from caswellplatng.com. I gold plated my Okito boxes using one of the plug in brushes. Looks great and no more tarnish.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Have fun with the polishing equipment! if you don't have a hand held grinder Im sure someone will lend you one that's the way to go. Don't try it by hand. then send it to a plater they will do it for youat realy reasonable rate. (our platers here generaly will do small stuff likthis for me gratis as they will throw it in a batch of chopper parts if I'm willing to perform at one of their cookouts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Question About Finish On Metal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL