The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bare Handed - My review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
OK, I am still very new to magic, so consider that when reading my beginner's opinion. (For a more in-depth review by a real coin guy, read Dan's review at http://www.coinvanish.com )

I paid $25.00 for Bare Handed. I think the price is a little high considering I could have gotten Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic on DVD for five dollars more. The tape contains 7 effects and a bonus move with cards.

But frankly, I am disappointed. Some of the effects require a specific way of dressing that does not fit my performance style. I can't say much more than that without giving away too much. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought it, but we all take risks when buying any magic product. Also, a couple of the effects require gimmicks, contrary to the advertising.

I also did not like the religious proselytizing on the tape. Nothing against religion, mind you, I just found it out of place and innapropriate. In other words, I bought the tape to learn, not to be saved.

The effects are nice and I may be able to use one or two of them.

I particularly liked the Bonus move with cards, but anyone who has worked with cards before probably already knows the move (I'm guessing here). But for me, a coin guy, it was nice to learn a quick card move that I can do if I happen to have a deck close by.

All in all, I didn't like it and will be offering it for trade at the Café. (How dumb am I? I should give it a great review and then put it up for trade... or trade it away and then post my bad review.Smile ) but seriously, I didn't like it only because it doesn't fit MY style. It may be great for someone else. And at the price I will offer it for, it will be a better risk.

Hope this was helpful.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2003-01-25 12:35, Magix wrote:
I also did not like the religious proselytizing on the tape. Nothing against relegion, mind you, I just found it out of place and innapropriate. In other words, I bought the tape to learn, not to be saved.

Geeze, all the guy said was that he and his friend love Jesus. It was one quick statement, hardley proselytizing.
Click to visit:
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Well Dan, I am big enough to admit when I am wrong and this is one of those times.

You are absolutely correct. I shouldn't have even brought it up. It added nothing substantial to my review. I guess I just wasn't expecting Kokinos' statement during an instructional video. Nevertheless - I apologize.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Why Magix? Why be sorry for speaking your opinion? I mean, it was something on the tape that you did not care for, or you wouldnt have posted here about it. Although it's not a major thing, but i agree that it doesent belong on the tape. that's like the performer stating on the tape,"By the way, i am a democrat." No place for it. Also, maybe not everyone buying his tape is a christian. Maybe they follow a different religion altogether. Again, not a huge deal here, but i can tell you this ... when i purchase a video, book etc ... i do it for ONE reason ... to LEARN! Stick with the material at hand and that's it. If i want to know more about your personal beliefs and interests other than the material i bought your product for, ill buy your autobiography. Smile
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Well sbays, I agree with you and that is why I mentioned it in the review in the first place. I was simply expressing my opinion.

But just as I felt that the religious remark was out of place in the tape, my comments regarding the religious remark may also be out of place in the review, simply because they had no bearing on the review of the effects themselves. That was the reason for the apology. I simply don't want to offend the fine people here at the Café.

Lesson to be learned here - you can't please everyone.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have a couple of videos that I don't like because of crude inuendo or gratuitous profanity. And if asked what I do or don't like about them, I certainly would include a comment about those issues.

Kirk Is a friend of mine, and I must say that I thought he was quite understated in his statement. I would not have thought that it would not be offensive. But as you might expect, I have a different attitude about Jesus than some people.

But I think you did a nice job in your second post, of separating the "offense" from the the overall value of the DVD.

I personally enjoyed a number of the effects on the DVD. But I don't do much coin work, so it was all pretty interesting to me.

But it truly is a simple matter of different opinions. And thanks for posting your review. I don't think Kirk would want you to say you liked it, if you didn't really like it.

As you indicated, Dan had previously also reviewed the DVD. And others thinking about the DVD will likely read all of the reviews to see what they will get from the DVD.

And that is one of the the great things about The Magic Café, you get to hear what others think - good and bad about a variety of products.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bare Handed - My review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL