The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Barrie Richardson: Theatre of the Mind vs. Act 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Hey guys was hoping for a bit of comparison. I have done a search and couldn't find any relevant comparisons between the two. A quick response would be much appreciated since I'm having to source MM&M from the UK rather than America owing to postage costs so I need to change my order today.

Coming to mentalism from a background in Card magic. Therefore I'm looking for effects primarily not involving cards or esp cards since I'm hoping that having assimilated PS1&2 and some of Osterlind's DVDs I should be able to generate my own card based mentalism effects. In addition, I'd like to be able to separate card sleight based performances from mentalism effects.

I confess I don't own 13 steps but was hoping that MM&M would be a sufficient substitute.

As an alternative to Richardson's I was considering PRISM, SAD, Coral Fang or Hauntiques, PK touches/time having heard good things about all of them.

I own Unexpected, and am more drawn to close up, small group/1vs1 effects. Skullduggery is also winging it's way to me Stunners Plus is currently out of my price range as is the new Osterlind series.

Any advice would be greatfully received (I'm looking to substitute about $60 of MM&M for another one or two items). Thanks.
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
These two books are on my list of "top ten" books I recommend to people serious about mentalism.

I would start with Theater of the Mind. It contains Barrie's favorite routines.

Yet both books give you something much more than clever methods (there are several clever methods in both books). Both books give you over forty wonderful examples of what "entertaining presentations of mentalism" sound like. The way Barrie introduces his audiences to each demonstration is absolutely priceless.

While both books contain a few playing card routines, the main emphasis in on routines that use props that seem very natural and normal for a mentalist. You may even decide - after reading these books - to perform mentalism without any playing cards. It can be done if you are serious about performing entertaining, amazing mentalism.

Chuck Hickok
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Thanks, for you reply Chuck. So in essence both books contain similar material?
MagicDog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
174 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
I have both books and you will find effects you can use or change to meet your needs. If I hand to chose between one or the other it would be his first book.

But if I could suggest something to you, you may want to look into Mentalism Incorporated books one and two for some very good information as well.

John
Make Everyday Magical
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Act Two is one of my favorite books.

Elliott
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
Quote:
On 2007-05-19 21:21, ElliottB wrote:
Act Two is one of my favorite books.

Elliott

I can only imagine why, Mr. Switchcraft! Smile
Mental Luxor
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
15 Posts

Profile of Mental Luxor
I have both books. Theather of the Mind is my favorite but in both books you cand find a lot of diferent presentations.

Mental Luxor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Barrie Richardson: Theatre of the Mind vs. Act 2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL