The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Final Answer vs. ThoughtScan (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Hi all

I've been interested in a Q&A act for a while, and am a bit confused by these two Osterlind items. Are they basically the same effect? They both look like Q&A but I'm wondering if one is better suited for certain situations than the other? Perhaps I've read them wrong as well and they are different kinds of routines. Can someone clarify the differences for me? Thanks in advance
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
I have both, and I have to say that IMHO Q&A is the way to go. it packs small and plays big. you can do Q&A with 5 people, with thought scan you need a bit more. just my 2 cents
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Thanks,

So I guess in your opinion I should get both? Really they seem a fair price if they are both good...
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
I wouldn't do the Final Answer for 5 people, it would look to contrived.
For a small group, I suggest Osterlind's Very Modern Mindreader.
Woodfield
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Ah, another great tip. So I'm guessing that Very Modern Mind Reader and ThoughtScan may be the best combination to entertain all groups with Q&A? Of course this is all opinion but I appreciate your help
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
Woodfield,

you are right! Very Modern Mind Reader, this I think has the best of both worlds!
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
They’re all good. Thought Scan and Very Modern Mindreader are both presented as mindreading routines while The Final Answer is presented specifically as a Q&A routine. However, as people were recently discussing on the Osterlind No Camera Tricks thread, mindreading and Q&A routines are essentially interchangeable.

I’ll try and give you a general idea of what’s involved with the routines in hopes of helping you make a decision. Someone can jump in and correct me if I’m wrong.

Thought Scan requires participants to write down some information which is then sealed in envelopes. The performer then - while making notes - discerns spectators’ thoughts.

The Final Answer requires participants to write down questions on slips of paper that have detachable numbers. They fold the information slips and place them into a pencil bag. Those slips are then dumped out and the detached numbers are gathered. Whose questions are answered is determined lottery style by the detached numbers.

The Very Modern Mindreader - my personal pick of the three - requires participants to write down information and seal them in small coin envelopes. The performer then reads the spectators’ minds. After the reading, the performer cuts open the envelope, removes the slip, and returns the slip and envelope to the spectator. The best thing about it is that the spectator gets back the actual envelope they turned in so if some wiseacre decides to mark their envelope in hopes of uncovering trickery, they will be sorely disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Hi again

Awesome info. Exactly what I was looking for. Since all of these are on the Mind Mysteries DVD's and they get such high ratings I think I'll just buy them and see what I get. looks like I can't go wrong with them anyway
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
Thought Scan is on Volume I of the Mind Mysteries series. The Very Modern Mindreader is on Volume 5. And Final Answer is listed under the name Question And Answer Act on Volume 7.

You won’t receive any gimmicks that might be needed for any of the routines but Richard shows you how they work and you can make your own if you want.

You can also go to http://www.osterlindmysteries.com where you’ll find Richard’s blog (enter the Mentalists’ section and there you’ll see links to Richard’s store and his blog) , which offers suggestions on many of his routines.

Holly
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Wicked, I have volume 1 on the way and will get 5 and 7 on my next order. Probably tomorrow... I see on his site I can buy ThoughtScan and Final Answer but I'm going to wait until I see the video to buy. Thanks again
chicane
View Profile
Elite user
New Zealand
465 Posts

Profile of chicane
Wait until you see Richard perform "Quadrulitear" on the bonus disc that comes with No Camera Tricks. Based on an Al Mann routine it is great for a small number of spectators or a large show. You read the thoughts of 4 people.

Personally I don't like the Dunninger Board that is used, and have adapted a regular clipboard to do the work.
FORCE 4 - a TOOL FOR MENTALISTS - OUT NOW

http://www.nzmagic.com/magicshop2015.html
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
I wish I would. I bought the No Camera Tricks DVD's from another supplier before realizing there were extras from L&L. I may break down and buy a second set to get the bonuses but it really doesn't make sence unless I sell my old set and I'm kinda against selling my magic dvd's on ebay
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Just to clarify, should we credit Anemann with the modern mind reader premise? Mr Osterlind's improvements are certainly noteworthy, but just for the sake of history and what not...

DT3
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Don

Point noted. I've already studied Anemann's work and it is terrific. He does deserve credit for this routine in many ways. I didn't intend disrespect with my request for advice on the more modern handlings.
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 15:04, Don Theo III wrote:
Just to clarify, should we credit Anemann with the modern mind reader premise? Mr Osterlind's improvements are certainly noteworthy, but just for the sake of history and what not...

DT3

Personally, I don’t think I should have to go over the history of an effect every time I want to talk about it. Yes, it traces back to Annemann but there are places at this site to discuss the history of effects. I just don’t think I should have to deliver a history lesson every time I want to have a discussion.

I believe in preserving history but I also think magicians and mentalists get way too carried away with it. I’m sure if you wanted to, you could trace these effects back to even before Annemann.

Questions were posed in regards to some effects that are offered by Richard Osterlind. I tried to answer the questions. I thought I was being helpful. Sorry.

Holly
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Don,

Although The Very Modern Mindreader was in Annemann's book, it was actually Hewitt who came up with it. It is also in Greater Magic.

Richard
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Interesting stuff. Also to add to the Osterlind section of Q&A I just watched the Clearly Mind Reading demonstration on DVD 2 of No Camera Tricks. Great stuff that also follows this category. I'm still going to get the rest though.

With all the Osterlind information on this act there really is no need for me to look anywhere else.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I know this is old, but my opinion is that as far as what each effect "appears" to the audience is that Thought Scan gives the impression that you are reading the spectators thoughts. The other two you are reading the info from the envelopes and cards. I know it's nitpicking, but the effect Dunniger and Kreskin gave was that they were receiving the info picked from the audiences brain.

Now Richard likes to refer to the written info, he stresses that he is gleaning stuff that is not written. He calls that back in a startling fashion. Actually, he is using the info that is written down, but he fishes info from it to gain more and calls it back as if came from their thoughts.
salcioppa
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
59 Posts

Profile of salcioppa
I can't speak for the Final Answer in that I don't own it and have never used it, but I have ThoughtScan and love it. It's simple and very effective.
At a convention of mind readers, a man sees an attractive woman he'd like to meet. He walks up to her and says, "Hello! You're Susan. Who am I?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Final Answer vs. ThoughtScan (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL