The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unorthodox
View Profile
New user
Va Beach, Va
3 Posts

Profile of unorthodox
Okay I know asking specific questions on how to do things isn't allowed. So here is my delema. Like I said in my intro I am in the navy, and I am currently out-at-sea and will be for a long time. So buying a book or looking up most things, especially if it requires me to pay for anything.

Okay with that said, I don't know a lot of the jargon or how to do a lot of the techniques discussed. So is there any advice or anything I can do to learn these things? I'm in need of a multi purpose pass, forces ect. So what can I do to learn these or where can I go?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.
unorthodox
View Profile
New user
Va Beach, Va
3 Posts

Profile of unorthodox
What I meant to say was...

So buying a book or looking up most things, especially if it requires me to pay for anything won't be a viable option.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Eehm not much to do then I think.

You know a fellow magician in real life?
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Youtube tutorials.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
If you are new, I would not recommend youtube tutorials, as the quality varies strongly. You might copy and learn the wrong handlings and so on.

Is there a chance that you order via the internet and let the goods be shipped to you in your personal mail? Or let some friends send it to you?

There is one more option, that is to buy downloadable training material (e-books) and last not least there is the Learned Pig Project (use the search function)

Andy
Cards never lie
unorthodox
View Profile
New user
Va Beach, Va
3 Posts

Profile of unorthodox
Thanks all, yes I know a fellow magician in real life, the only problem is that he'll only be on my ship for a short time.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
If you have a way to pay online (PayPal or credit card), you can find a lot of great, inexpensive eBooks online at http://www.lybrary.com

Or you can join the Learned Pig and get lots of eBooks for free. It will take some time to get approved, but he's got dozens of free eBooks there.

You also want the glossary of magic at:
http://www.magictricks.com/library/glossary.htm

Since you can't buy any props out at sea, I suggest you focus on ungaffed card and coin tricks and an area called 'impromptu magic', which uses common objects like napkins, salt shakers, shoe laces, etc., as props.

Good luck!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
In addition to the above advices and suggestions, I would also point you to the direction of pure sleight of hands. Get a few books and work on the techniques - you have all the time on the ship.

This disadvantage then becomes an advantage to you. You get to major on sleights and when you have the opportunity you can get your hands on gimmicks and props.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
When you get to shore get a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and carry it on ship with you, you will find a pretty good magic education for the money there, (About 20 dollars) you can get it, and even autographed if you like at http://www.markwilsonmagic.com
Until then the download sites above will keep you busy. I know what life on a ship is life, been there, former Navy Chaplain. Welcome to magic!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL