The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Whit's rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harp
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
71 Posts

Profile of harp
Which rings are most effective for the 4 ring routine and what are the advantages or disadvantages of a locking key? I would like to have the rings in hand before ordering the routine.

Thanks.

Harp
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The advantage is obvious. The disadvantage is that you need to learn to work it smoothly. If I did whit's routine I would not use a locker.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
12" non locking rings are fine. Whit is currently using 15" Owens rings that(I think) were a gift.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I just got Whit's rings DVD last week. It's awesome. After seeing the free video, I thought "Well, it's all right there...no need to buy the DVD". But I went ahead and bought it anyway because I did plan on using the routine in my act and I thought that was well worth 35 bucks...

Then I watched the DVD and realised how much isn't on the free video. He's got every possible participant reaction layed out...live throughout his years of performing the rings. He's got 'outs' for any misshap. AND his handling of the rings was way better than mine (which surprised me because I thought I knew how to do the rings)

The amount of live performance on this DVD is incredible. I bought the DVD to basically keep my Karma in balance...but ended up getting a new favorite video! It's really, really good. Buy it Harp. You'll love it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The premise is such that it almost DOES NOT MATTER what size rings are used, as long as all the physical requirements are met.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I agree - the Whit's ring DVD is the best instructional video I ever bought. Any size rings will work, but I wouldn't go smaller than 10" or 8". Don't get a locking key - you'll be sorry.

Jim
harp
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
71 Posts

Profile of harp
Thank you one and all, Okay now thay I am comfortable with ordering the routine. How do you order the rings? Can you order only 4 or do you have to break up a set?

I prefer to buy better quality on the front end instead of upgrading later, without being extravagant.

Thanks again, this sounds like fun. Talk about fun, was able to attend a Fielding West lecture Sunday, very nice guy, super lecture.

Harp
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can order custom quantities of rings from http://www.porperoriginals.com (use the email link) or http://www.owenmagic.com These will be of the highest quality.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I would probably buy a full set of 8 rings. You can start with Whit's routine and then experiment with different routines. Having a full set also means you have an extra single which you can swap out with the key to hand the rings out for examination.

I like the Pro-line rings. I'm pretty sure that you can order whatever rings you want from them if you decide not to get a full set.

The larger diameter rings can be more impressive. I think that Whit's 15 inch rings look really nice, and I prefer my ProLines (13-1/2 inch) over the 10 inchers.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I would probably buy a full set of 8 rings. You can start with Whit's routine and then experiment with different routines. Having a full set also means you have an extra single which you can swap out with the key to hand the rings out for examination.

I like the Pro-line rings. I'm pretty sure that you can order whatever rings you want from them if you decide not to get a full set.

The larger diameter rings can be more impressive. I think that Whit's 15 inch rings look really nice, and I prefer my ProLines (13-1/2 inch) over the 10 inchers.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
At lunch the other day Whit commented that his routine could make good use of the new Locking K ring that Joe Porper has just created.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Perhaps I stand corrected.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Whit's rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL