The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Shift (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Just thought I'd ask you guys. I've been practising the Pass, but I find it hard, since my hands are small, the deck doesn't quite get enough room to shift properly. So I thought I'd think of a way to do it with my small hands, and a lot of thinking and practise, I came up with this. Do you guys think I can get away with this? (if I practise it a lot?) Or should I leave this silly thing behind, and concentrate on the pass, even though my hands seem a bit small?

Here's a vid of me doing A Shift: http://www.sandelarsen.com/tests/shiftqueen.html

This move probably exist, if so what is the name of it, maybe I can look it up and get more info on how to perfect it, given that the move is worth it that is.

Doc-Z
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
A little dark for me to tell if ur shift is effective, from what I could see it looked Ok. Size of your hands won't make a lot of difference with the pass. The pass isn't supposed to be "invisible" it is supposed to be done when you have misdirected the audience. I know a lot of younger magicians seem to think they need to perfect it to some point they think they do it invisibly with the audience watching on. But that isn't what the pass really is supposed to be. It is a move made casually , without watching while the audience's attention is misdirected elsewhere. Some top card people like Daryl don't do the pass at all. I've never seen a pass that could fool another good card worker, and non card workers , not knowing what to expect aren't likely to see a pass if misdirected properly. Thus, the pass done to fool magicians, like most magic directed to fool magicians is really a waste of time.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
218 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
I think you were doing a "Turnover Pass" or a "Hoffman Pass" but I'm not sure.

From my humble amateur opinion, flashing the bottom without a reason looks suspicious. We don't see what happened but we sense that something fishy is going on.
When I do it, I show them their card in the middle and I do the shift. As I turn the deck over, I show that their card is not on the bottom, and as I turn it face down, I do a DL to show them the card is still not on top. That way, in the mind of the spectator, no sleight or magic occured yet. In reality, you're WAY ahead of them.
At this point, you could basically give them the deck, do a rain dance to summon their card and they could turn the top card themselves.
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Well I don't know how much I am allowed to post in here, so I wil PM you guys.

Doc-Z
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
From that dark video, I can't detect if it is Hermann type Pass with reversing action or Classic type Pass with reversing action. Anyway, Hermann type Pass is better when you reverse the deck. Of course you should have a good reason to show bottom card as Louis.P.M-san mentioned.

When you upload video for us to check it, I hope you cut out unnecessary part of demonstration because we waste time. (False Cut part in this video).

Hideo Kato
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
A sorry about that.. I tried to cut it down, but I made a mistake, I thought that the cutting part was where I cut the deck with the "ambitious card" not the false cuts. But I allready made the video, I don't have any fancy video editing software, so it's not always easy to get it quite right. I will put more attention on the part selection next time.

Thank you all for your input

Doc-Z
Thomas Newton
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Thomas Newton
I like your general handling Doc.

I bet my hands are smaller than yours and I can do the passes. I'm just a noob but I know photius has it right. Think about misdirection, especially mental.

If your determined to pass in front of a viewers gaze there are covers, remember, a larger movement covers the smaller one, as the maestro said. Maybe try the Paul LePaul Spread Pass I'm doing this whilst being fully observed as an 'observation test'.

Kaufman's On the Pass DVD is really excellent IMHO, maybe look at that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Shift (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL