The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Please help with the name of this trick. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bigmike
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of bigmike
Any help with the name, creator, and source of the trick described below would be greatly appreciated.

A selected card is controlled to 8th from the bottom, note: the identity of the card is known by the performer. Four piles of cards are now dealt via the following procedure: the performer counts backwards from ten out-loud dealing a card face up for each number counted. When a hit occurs, i.e on the count of eight an eight is dealt, the counting begins again from ten and a new pile is started. If no hit occurs, a card is dealt face down on to the pile, and the counting/dealing starts again from ten. When four piles have been created, the performer adds the total value of the face up cards, for example 13. The performer now counts down 13 cards from those remaining and the selected card is turned over on the count of 13. That is the basic effect. With some creative wordplay and quick thinking you can use the face up cards to name the identity of the selected card.

Sorry if the description is confusing but is is a hard effect/procedure to describe.

Thanks in advance.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
As far as I know there are many variations on this idea. If you're looking for the exact name attributed to what I'm guessing is but one variation, then I cannot help you. A similar effect appears in vol. 3 of _Card College_ called "Numerology." It involves three piles, the card stars at a different place and two faro shuffles are used. Different but similar. Giobbi might provide the inspirational source you're looking for; I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment (and I'm not sure if it 's what you're looking for).
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Paul Gordon has an effect on his lecture DVD that is similar to this...not EXACTLY as you say, but the start is for sure
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
remco de wolf
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of remco de wolf
Looks like it is "Twisting the Plot" from the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, Which is based on Henry Christ's Dealing trick Procedure.
kevsimo
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of kevsimo
There are three tricks of this type in "Scarne on card tricks" no 30 .Mathematical Finder no 63. Allerchrist card trick ( Allerton/Christ) and no 69 Perfect prediction all use a similar simple mathematical principle and are self working. Placement from the bottom varies slightly in each case. regards KS
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Yes, my trick is called "What A Triple Kick"; also in my book, Card Magic Companion. It uses the Christ principle, but I've developed a three kick (surprise) ending...with four Aces and four Kings and three mates of Selection.

Paul Gordon
bigmike
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of bigmike
Thanks to everyone that posted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Please help with the name of this trick. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL