The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning from Tarbell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Well I ran a search and havent really found much of use so I thought - lets ask (if anyone knows of a thread - point me in the direction please).

I just got given the complete Tarbell course today by my G/F and have been looking through it, and wondered whether the way these are laid out is indeed meant to be as a course...

Can you pick up Vol 1 - work through it and move onto volume 2 (repeat). My reason for asking is that it would appear to jump around a fair bit (example - card tricks in almost each vol..) Is there a better way to study these or are they meant to be this way...just curious is all...
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That was the way many magicians of Tarbell's era taught magic: you'd get the lessons for beginners- cards, coins, rope, etc. Then if you survived and went back for more, you'd move up to the next level with more advanced cards, coins, ropes, etc. At least that was the way I was taught, and I had to buy my Tarbell one volume at a time because it was so expensive and I was always a step away from broke. But like the advancing lessons I was receiving from Professor Ted Collins, I grew with each new volume of Tarbell that I was able to acquire.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Thanks for that Spellbinder, makes sense now Smile
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
The Tarbell books are a GREAT reference for all your question as you talk to people here at the Café.
Jerry Smile
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
You lucky man. What a g/f you have. I bought Tarbell a vol. at a time and even that was expensive for me. I think that's where your problem lies. You have all of them and can look forward and back in the Course. They do work as a course. Master everything in vol 1 and you have a decent working knowledge of a range of magic styles. Move to vol 11 and improve your mastery of each style, etc. But it's so tempting to peek at the later volumes if you have them there in front of you, isn't it?
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
If you want Tarbell as it was first put out as a correspondence course, then may I suggest the Lybrary CD-ROM. It contains the original lessons and the "post-graduate" material. The material in the books was reworked, reordered, and added to the material in the original lessons.

http://www.lybrary.com/tarbell-course-p-34.html

You can search on the Tarbell CD and find other threads, but I think the CD contains the material in the first 5 volumes of the books (most of it anyway). Volumes 6-8 came along later.
Regards,
Eric
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

I think Tarbell Courses are great. They are a very big library for magic. If you don't get these series I think you must get one.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I also bought the Tarbell Course one or two volumes at a time, many years ago, and found that the later material did build on the earlier lessons.

While you can quibble with the organization or the sequence that Dr. Tarbell used, the basic arrangement is pretty workable, in my opinion. Of course, you could skip anything that doesn't particularly appeal to you (rope, cards, coins, silks, balls, etc.) and still do just fine. But that's one of the good things about the Course, it exposes you to a wide variety of material, and you can decide what works for you and what doesn't.

The Course is also a great reference source to go back to, for a useful sleight or a presentation idea. Hang onto those books and use them well! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In addition to their instructional value, I also use them as "bathroom books"--when I have a few idle minutes, I pick up one of the volumes and simply read through a small section.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-06-20 16:40, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
In addition to their instructional value, I also use them as "bathroom books"--when I have a few idle minutes, I pick up one of the volumes and simply read through a small section.

John

Hmmmm. Are any pages missing?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Tarbell is one of the Best Courses in Magic for the Money! Personally, It would be nice to see an Instructional DVD set made from these books. Maybe Robbins will spring for it someday.
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

I love your DVD idea Dmann! It would be great, but considering someone made a 7 DVD set just about one book (EATCT) I think a DVD of all 8 of the Tarbell books would probably go into the realms of a 50 DVD set! This could cost thousands! I would love it to happen, but hopefully it won't be that expensive!

On a side note, I have really enjoyed this post and it has encouraged me to look back at my Tarbell books!

Thanks for all the useful posts!

God bless!

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Tarbell is a fantastic resource. You'll often see Mark Wilson's book recommended a hell of a lot on teh Café & you don't see Tarbell come up nearly as often. But this is simply because this course is so expensive and is a series of books rather than just one, so when recommended books are asked for Wilson comes through much more often. Tarbell is, for me, several streets ahead of Wilsons book though I do not deny Wilson is also a great book. Personally, the presentation and illustrations in Tarbell I much prefer. I feel more in tune with Tarbell.
mrsmiles
(UK)
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Hmmmmmmmmmm.......does anyone else think Mark Wilson based his Encyclopedia of Magic of updated/not-so-updated tarbell material???? If you ever want to know about the virtues of the tarbell course call Denny Haney In Baltimore!!!!
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Just stumbled across this older thread. Since I recently picked up the first 5 volumes (used), I thought I would put my two cents in. I appreciate the Tarbell series for several reasons:

Contains a great diversity of material.
Provides explanations that are usually clear and often greatly aided by illustrations.
Provides background for present-day conversations and reading of more recent books.
Serves as a compilation of a number of good effects.

If I can get a good price I will try to purchase the remaining 3 volumes.
Michael F. Dilley
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Michael F. Dilley
Second the motion of Adam Christopher about Denny Haney. I met him only six weeks ago; I was introduced to him by my magic teacher. In just general discussion with him, he immediately began touting the virtues of the Tarbel course. I bought the first 3 volumes (over two visits) and am working my way through them now. I can see why they are so highly prized by others. Denny can expect several visits from me in the future to buy further volumes!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning from Tarbell (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL