The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Review wanted please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

linceed87
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of linceed87
Hello everybody I would like to know if anyone got this books and what do they think of them?: The practitioner, the afflicted, final curtain
thanksa lot
maj
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Maj, "The Practitioner" is a wonderful book and you can learn a lot from it. Buy it at any price. Eugene Poinc is no longer with us. "Final Curtain" I don't have, but I am sure it is a great book. I am unfamiliar with "The Afflicted" and don't even know who wrote it. Can you enlighten me on the author?

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
linceed87
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of linceed87
Thankyou very much bill
marc spelmann wrote the afflicted , aynone else please?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
The Afflicted is NOT a book, but a marketed effect, correct?

I purchased one and use a very clever bit in the handling for one of my own routines. The cards that are supplied are nice enough, and its a strong routine with a great premise. There should be plenty of reviews for it here at the Café.

The search button is your friend.

-J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Final Curtain is a great book, although the some of the best effects often require either 1) access to chemicals which in these days of terrorism are hard to come by (and I think Egregor said he'd been investigated just for enquiring after some of these!) and 2) a good hand with mechanics, engineering, and the such-like.
What's great about it though is the way Borodin creates tales as the main focus, with the 'magic' being almost a second thought.
In the second half of the book, there's some fantastically playful mentalism, again with strong plots, but much more 'do-able'.
Finally, if you get Bill Palmer's translation, there's some extras, including plots for pieces you probably already own.
I reckon if you spent a long weekend and read Chelman's books and Borodin's, and then soaked in a long hot bath, pondering, you'd be able to look at your props in a new light, routine your own stuff a lot easier, and start to look at effects with a new eye.
[
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
The practitioner is my favourite book and is highly recommended. In it are a group of magical stories which will show you how bizarre is done, charecter, plot and effect... with class...
final curtain is full of wonderful work, lots of stories, many ideas, its a classic -there are already posts on these books-
dragonskull website has a section on gene poinc go check it out...
I would say if your from the west the practitioner is your book it will give you idea's on where to find stories and idea's on how to create your own magic...
but both books are magical tomes that every magician - not just bizarre - should own.. A++++++++
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
linceed87
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of linceed87
Thankyou very much guys!
regards
mau
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
686 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
I only have Final Curtain of these items and agree with what Docsteve says about it. A lot of it is really not all that practical for many performers. Some fascinating stories and inspiring ideas, but it's certainly not for everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Review wanted please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL