The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Liberty half shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
OK experts,

You are right, the Liberty half is a beauty - and readily available for not too much $$$, but....

If I buy a current made shell (Johnson/Lassin) will it fit properly over a coin that is 50+ years old?

I'm not too finicky, but would you advise to buy a newly made set of halves w/shell for a better fit?

Regards
stevebraley
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of stevebraley
When you get a shell, you should also get the matching coins to go with it. There can be a slight variance in coin sizes, and you want everything to fit just right.

If you buy from Todd and he has stock, he will match the coins for you.

I'm not an expert yet, but I'm trying.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
They fit very well as they are made from the same time period and quality. I have all of my coins done in 1940's walking liberty halves. I got all of mine from the magic warehouse site Johnson Real Silver. Smile p.s. if you are going to get a shell I went ahead and got hopping halves. it comes with other very usable gaffs.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ted, I bought a roll of 1942 half dollars in 79. Connie Hayden was willing to make a few shellw for me in 79. And the shells were wonderful. I still have one. If the new guys have learned from the old guard, the shells will be just fine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
The Walking Liberty half I use is from Johnson and fit perfectly over my "aftermarket" halves. I've used these (shell & halves) a few hundred times have never been burned. Because of the property of silver, this coin somehow doesn't even "talk" when being compared against a regular clad half (naturally most of this is accomplished by long long hours of practice that handling coins should come naturally).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Liberty half shells (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL