The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Glorious Deception: The double life of William Robinson aka Chung Ling Soo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The Glorious Deception: The Double Life of William Robinson, aka Chung Ling Soo, the "Marvelous Chinese Conjurer"

By Jim Steinmeyer

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Carroll & Graf (May 10, 2005)
Language: English

I know, this comes rather late, but I can not resist sharing my joy of reading this great book with you.

Jim did a great job, inviting me to the heyday of the vaudeville music hall - an era that had magicians like Herrmann the Great and Harry Houdini. The book gripped me right from the start, engaging the virtual cinema in my head.

The story starts with the tragic accident that lead to the deat of the mysterious and exotic magician Chung Ling Soo, considered among the greatest of his peers.
The description of the scene is vivid, colorful and engaging. By the time the accident happend and Jim takes us - in the best hollywood tradition - on a flash back tour, I was hooked.

In the world of magic in the early days of vaudeville and music hall, we are invited to follow the journey of William Ellsworth Robinson, a talented and very creative magician, who failed in the beginning to capture the audience. Only when he turned his weakness into strenght, transforming himself into a silent Chinese conjurer, he succeeded beyond his own wildest imagination.

Jim also captured nicely the competition and the rivalery amongst magican at that time - stealing, copying and intrigating. Robinson was no saint, his moral was flexible. Here I did miss more insights into his thinking and feelings. The book drifts into an array of events, rather on personal insights of Robinson.

Neverthess, I fully recommend this read.
Cards never lie
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
I know this ones really late but I've had it on my shelf for over a year and picked it finally picked it up a few days ago and now cannot put it down! Just fascinating and I'm savoring every moment!
Franks great grandaughter
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Franks great grandaughter
I am so looking forward to reading this book and can't wait for the copy I have just ordered to be delivered.
My great grandfather was Frank Kametaro and I am eager to find out about his life with Chung Ling Soo.
Sounds like a good read and hoping to learn loads about my great grandfather.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Your great grandfather was an eye-witness to magic history, only a few feet away from Soo the night of the accident.

You'll enjoy Jim's book, the best author in magic, and on a subject of personal interest to you.....it doesn't get any better than that!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Hi Frank's great grand daughter,

Do you know of any stories about your great grandfather's life in magic that may have been passed down to you, that you're willing to share?

You have several pairs of ears interested in this time period who would be most grateful to you for taking the time.
Franks great grandaughter
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Franks great grandaughter
Hi SilverKing and Reese

Thank you for your messages.

I am delighted to be learning about my Great Grandfather and am hoping to find out more from some recently discovered long lost relations!

Jim's book is fantastic and I am fortunate to be in contact with Jim himself and he is kindly pointing me in the direction of many knowledgeable people who may be able to assist me with my search.

I have just discovered Frank's birthplace in Japan so I am busy making enquiries about family records but I don't speak or read the language so it is slow progress!

I am desperately interested in finding out what happened after 23 March 1918 until Frank died circa 1940 in Bradford. Sadly my Grandmother passed away when I was young so I personally don't remember any family stories but I am contacting all of my Mum's generation to ask what they recall. There has been mention of Frank becoming a barber but I don't know how true this is.

I have yet to find death records for either Frank or his wife Gertrude (known as Mabel) in Bradford so the search continues. Pity the Census for 1911,1921 and 1931 are not yet available so I could track his movements for that period.

I wonder if Frank continued to perform on his own or as part of another show after the death of CLS. I have contacted the archivist at the World Circus Museum and await their reply. Apparently Frank was awarded a medal in 1894 whilst at Barnum and Bailey so I am hoping records of this can be traced.

I understand that David Copperfield has a collection in Nevada which includes CLS but I am struggling to find an address or email address for the archivist to make enquiries. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Frank certainly had connections from his performing days prior to his time with Soo. He also had skills that would have presumably been in great demand with other magicians.

What is difficult to assess is the emotional impact that Soo's death had on Frank, and what direction that steered Frank in after Soo's demise.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Anecdote:
When living in London, back in the early 1970s, another Robinson (apparently without any family link or at least he denied it) actually the well known Fred Robinson, helped me in buying the book collecton of William Robinson (each book waring his stamp crossed out with black felt marker). I kept them as they were the basis of my book collection in Engish language and its only years later, in the erly 80s that I realized where they were coming from.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Glorious Deception: The double life of William Robinson aka Chung Ling Soo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL