The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Top Hat's During a Show - Costume or Prop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys.

I am going to get a Dube Top Hat pretty soon, and want to know what you guys do with the hat. Or if you guys even wear a hat.

Do you wear it throughout the whole show, wear at the start and then use it to put props into, etc.?

Just want to get a feel of that you guys do with your top hat and if it is worked into the show at all; and how?

Thanks!
-Vinnie
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Vinnie,

That depends.. I know of magians and comediens who wear it and use it in their comedy routines.

The first question is what are you going to do with it?
Dennis Michael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi Vinnie
Brian Dube at http://www.dube.com has an inexpensive book called "the juggler's manuel of Manipulation Miscellanea" by Reginald W. Bacon "Mr Slim" along with a visit to http://www.trickswithhats.org, a good hat, and you are on your own.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Are you getting the heavy felt juggling hat, or the collapsible top hat? If you are planning to learn hat juggling, you'll want the heavy felt hat and don't do anything to mess it up for juggling. You can still use it for magic, but limit its use to an occasional production by separate load bag. Also, you'll probably end up getting more than one hat if you really get into hat juggling.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Hey guys.

Yes, I'll be getting the Wool Heavyweight Dube Tall Hat.

Well, mostly, I will be wearing it on my head. Maybe I'll produce something out of it, but I don't think so for now.

I'm not going to be juggling A LOT with the hat, but there will be a small bit of hat manipulation throughout the show.

I want to know what you guys do with your hat.

-Vinnie
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Vinnie,

I am half asleep as I am reading this and I could have sworn your first line read "I'll be getting the world heavyweight title belt."

I gotta drink more coffee.

I have found that a neat routine is to talk about magic and magicians in general and tell everyone that a classic of magic is to produce a rabbit from a hat (do the trick with a rabbit load from behind your table) and then tell the audience that "but that was then, and this is now, and since I don't do that particular trick I'll do something different for you folks."

S. Patrick
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Haha that's funny! Smile

I like the routine. But then what do you go into?

-Vinnie
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Both. As a costume it give a great first impression, as a prop it is almost infinitely versatile. (almost infinite! ha, I'm a moron of the oxy variety)

I love my top hat. It's a Nils Polls felt juggling hat.It cost me more than a dube but that might have just been poor shopping.

There is so much you can do with a hat; tricks to impress and some of the funniest visual gags out there. Here's some guys who know how to use a hat:

Charlie Chaplin (& Johnny Depp),George Carl,Charlie Frye, Buster Keaton, Stan and Olly,Pat Page,Slyvester the Jester.

My favourite gags are the ones that use manipulation skills to comic effect.

A hat is also an extension of your face and you can combine it with an expression to exaggerate it. Stan and Olly tip their hats forward when they purposely stride forward, tip it back to compliment an expression of surprise, tip it to the side to enhance a disorientated or dizzy expression.

Clean it, chase it, squash it, fight with it, lose it, throw it, flip it,pull stuff out of it,vanish stuff into it, love it.

George
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Both here as well. I enter wearing it but after my oeping effect promise to pull a live elephant from the hat. When the audience sounds skeptical, I pretend to misunderstand and say ""OK, if you don't want to see that one, I'll do something else. I go back to the hat periodically, using it as a running gag in the show, each time claiming a less preposterous animal (rhino, bear, tiger, dog) each time acting like they don't want to see that trick. Finally, I work my way down to rabbit. I produce a paper rabbit with a long neck (a clippo), trim the neck, then put the rabbit in my Rabit Reconsititutor (a rabbit wringer), produce a live rabbit and take my bow. So actually, the top hat ends up being the unifying prop of my whole show.

Marc the magic Man
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I use the Top Hat for a prop.
I produce a silk rabbit (joke).
Use it for six card repeat.
Use it for a bank night routine.
Etc.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I produce my "run rabbit run" rabbit from it, twice. I do the Hindu hangman with it, and of course my two balls, and a hat juggling routine.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I use my collapsible top hat pretty much as a dump box. (It's two sizes too small for my head anyway).

My wand sticks out of the hat and I dump a sponge ball in the hat when I pick up the wand...otherwise it just sits there as a prop, that is until:

The block for Mel Babcock's Block Box (a Die Box on steroids) which is SUPPOSED to appear in my top hat when it vanishes from the box, gets misdirected and ends up in my rabbit-puppet's top hat by mistake.

He (the rabbit) complains that there are UFO's flying around the room and one landed on his head...poor little guy!

(This was a work-around I came up with because the Block Box uses no s***l).

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I do a comedy disappearing top hat at the start of the show.
This routine gets the children involved---yelling, laughing and screaming.
Just some nonsense with the hat that create the right atmosphere.
Richard Lyn (Tricky Ricky)
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Definitely check out charlie frye's eccen-tricks dvds....well worth their weight in gold for visual gags..Adam
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Children have very specific expectations. If you bring out a top hat, their initial expectation is that you're going to produce a bunny from it. Now, you don't have to do the bunny thing, but you really should do something "magical" with it.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

I agree, Kent! I just need to find what will suit me while using the top hat, though. =]

-Vinnie
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
In the past I had lots of hats on a brass hat rack..(on stage..) Though the hats are still there, I don't always bring the hat stand.

Hats are used by this nearly normal guy to..

1. Establish Character
2. Magician in trouble...hat won't stay on head, hat moves ahead of me...hat is wrong size..hat has to be screwed on my head...
3. Coins vanish, appear and change in and out of the hat..
4. Production out of hat...(no rabbit hear..other interesting things..)
5. Fan face, arm pits and...on these hot midwest daze.
6. Hats have included..Top, bowler, carmen miranda,frank sinatra, .....

Hats off (or on ..) to all of you.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Top Hat's During a Show - Costume or Prop? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL