The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rich Hill vs. Chalet... and maybe even Jack Murray's ; Subtrunk Debate... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hello everyone,

I love the looks of Rich Hill's subtrunk as pictured here; however, I am well aware of the quality of a Chalet (and the wait until you receive one due to the slow turn around times from George). I'm also interested in Jack Murray's trunk at Dream Illusions but wonder about the "NO-Bolt" set-up and if it would conflict with the inspection of an audience member. I understand these trunks are all different in design to an extent, differ in t*** placement, and have separate weight factors. My main question is, which sub is better for the buck? Or, am I comparing apples to oranges?

-Bryan

p.s.- here are the other two "contenders" for visual descrimination...
Jack Murray @ Dream Illusion's Subtrunk
and...
Chalet's Subtrunk
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I heard chalets can last a real long time. the price on it is not that bad. Chalets to me Looks about the same as RH and is about Half the Price. What are your Needs/Wants for the Sub trunk I have a Old Abbotts Canvas Covered Box. but who ever made it made the top just a little bit bigger then the box. I'm not sure why. look at all options then compare you might even look for a used one. Don,
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Two points Bryan; The style of my new trunk is different than the pic currently on my site. Secondly, the "no-bolt" assembly has NO affect on inspection or what might be on the persons mind, and is very strong.
It also includes an ATA case.

Jack
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
PMed you Jack.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Jack, is the t*** in your offset or center?
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I owned a Chalet sub trunk and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!! If you can find a dealer with one In Stock, I would go THAT way.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Center, but swings to the side allowing for better access!
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I kind of had to chuckle when Jack mentioned that his sub-trunk comes with an ata case.

I am a HUGE believer that every illusion should have an ata case, in fact, it ought to be a built-in part of the asking price, plain and simple. Jack is one of the few illusion builders that does just that.

But a sub-trunk....to me, a subtrunk shouldn't be a pretty thing. The more beat up, the better. It kind of lends credibility and innocence to an already suspicious looking magic prop.

Personally, I ended up with a Rich Hill model about a year ago, mostly because of my size. It is a r*** t*** model, which is easier for larger lads to do. It is nice looking, or at least started out that way. It is aquiring nicks, scratches, (character!) etc. with every show.

I'd like to add that Rich was very generous in sharing some performance techniques that made the porcess easier for me, as well as adding speed to the exchange. Tips that could only come from a guy who's actually performed the illusion a bunch of times.

Just my 2¢ - If you are "normal(?)" sized, get a used Chalet if you can, otherwise get Jack's trunk brand new. If you want/need the r*** t***, spend the extra money for a Rich Hill.

Chris
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Thank you Chris for that inside info...I'm possibly looking at getting one, and you've been a BIG help...thanks.
Arepsi
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
147 Posts

Profile of Arepsi
George told me to send my trunk. I've been waiting Chalet trunk quite a long time. I made my order 27.dec 2005. Jack Murray sent me excellent subtrunk. Trap is very good and will stand examination. You can actually jump inside the trunk to make fast change. The box is very nicely decorated. I changed ropes to chains so it's more impossible.

I highly recommend Jack Murray's subtrunk!!! And also, the ATA case is valuable.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hello Everyone,

I have used both a Chalet Sub Trunk and now a Dream Illusions sub trunk. While the Chalet was nice, the Dream Illusions trunk is out of this world. The "no-bolt" assembly is just as strong if not stronger than using bolts, and it goes together in under 30 seconds. Also the whole piece is encased in aluminum and looks very strong and sturdy. Finally, the mechanics of Jack's trap make the other sub trunks I've seen look like they were built by cave men. I don't want to say much more about that, because I don't want to step on anyones toes, but you will be IMPRESSED by the trap on Jacks trunk. Like I said, I am sure that Rich Hills is nice, but I have not seen it. Between the Chalet and Dream Illusions trunks, which I have used both, the Dream Illusion Trunk wins across the board. You will not be disappointed. I am

Your Friend in Magic,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks Terry!

If it weren't for my size, I'd have probably gone with a Dream Illusion trunk. And I might have even used the ata case provided with it to keep it looking purdy. Smile

Chris
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Over the years I have used three different Chalet Trunks and I still think the world of George (Yes, one of the VERY few!) however considering the fact that when you need something I as of late don't think you can rely on Chalet unless you contact Dan Wolfe direct or Jim Holbert the two that are doing the actual building for George. I have never seen or used Jack's trunk but I do love the Fire Cage...Then again when I ask for help I never got it even from Jack. Sorry just being honest here! but if I were to chose between the two right now I would go with Jack and Dream Illusions. Again that's if I couldn't get a hold of Dan or Jim. which ever you get enjoy, audiences Love this prop.

Robert
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Bryan, I'm not sure if you got the chance to see the trunk on our site?
Here's the link: http://www.pearceillusions.com/subtrunk.htm

Sam
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Robert,

I am not quite sure what you meant when you said, "Then again when I ask for help I never got it even from Jack." What I can share with you is what I am absolutely sure of. Jack Murray has been a close friend of mine for many years. I can say with my whole heart that I have never met a man with more integrity than he. Jack defines the very essence of integrity through his actions, as he encompasses uniformity both inside and out. In other words he does what he says he will do, and does not waver from it. He stands behind his work, and will go to whatever means neccesary to make things right, in the rare event that a customer is displeased. As long as the customer is reasonable and fair, they will have no problems doing business with Jack. I realize that we are all mere human beings who are prone to making mistakes. Jack, just like the rest of us will make mistakes. It is the positive way he deals with problems, that I believe sets him apart. Jack builds fabulous illusions with humility, and with integrity he delivers them to people like us, so that we can enjoy them. This is the very formula on which I believe Jack has built his reputation and his success. I believe that Jack is a rare individual who possesses the finest of character traits. My posting is in no way intended to sound accusatory or defensive. I just felt it was a good time to share with you my perspective on Jack Murray and Dream Illusions. Whatever sub trunk may end up being purchased is of little importance to me. I have used Chalet props, and have a great deal of admiration and respect for both the products and George Kimmery. I have used Dream Illusions props, and feel the same way. For me, it is reassuring to know the people I do business with. I have been fortunate enough to experience the way Jack Murray cares for his customers. Jacks doesn't treat his customers as numbers or dollar signs, but instead as friends. I am proud to call Jack Murray my friend. I am

Your Friend in Magic,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Robert, I don't remember receiving ANY communication regarding a problem with your Fire Cage! I did have email problems some months ago.
Having said that, Beau is correct, I WILL stand behind any product I build 100% so please let me know what your problem is/was and I will do anything I can to help you. I'm sorry I didn't know before but I do now so let's get together and make you too a satisfied customer.

Jack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rich Hill vs. Chalet... and maybe even Jack Murray's ; Subtrunk Debate... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL